Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to properly switch out the shifter on an automatic xB and any sites to get cool shifters from? Thanks in advance for any help.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look pretty cool. I think it could just be unscrewed and pulled off but I'm not sure how it will effect the OD button. Hopefully someone can help us both.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
keyeasy said:
Those look pretty cool. I think it could just be unscrewed and pulled off but I'm not sure how it will effect the OD button. Hopefully someone can help us both.
Hopefully.........

·
Registered
15 Posts
To remove the shifter, you might want to look at the manual on ScionLife. I think you have to take apart the center console to get enough slack in the OD button wires. Then you remove two screws on the front of the shifter and disassemble the OD button. Make sure the new shifter has the OD button. Splice it in and reassemble. I might post something on my blog this weekend if I install the RA92A I bought for my wife weeks ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't sound too difficult. I purchased a silver shifter on ebay a few weeks ago but it looks more like a brake handle. I tried taking the screws out and was able to pull the shifter out. I didn't pull it all the way out because I didn't want to break anything. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Couldn't you remote mount the O/D switch somewhere if you wanted a handle that didn't have it?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
fcastle said:
Couldn't you remote mount the O/D switch somewhere if you wanted a handle that didn't have it?
I've heard it was possible, but I don't know of anyone who's done it..... yet!

·
Registered
74 Posts
fcastle said:
I don't see it being a problem. A switch is a switch & a button is a button. You may have to add/splice wires to make it longer, but no matter where you put it as long as it is wired up it will do what it is supposed to do.

I have never done it but when you get after market fog lights, neons, strobes or whatever you can mount the switch/button anywhere. I don't see why the O/D button would be any different. It is a basic 12V momentary button :D

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
I've heard it was possible, but I don't know of anyone who's done it..... yet!
didn't omc change his? i don't believe it was the stock shifter when i was driving it!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
yellow_sub said:
didn't omc change his? i don't believe it was the stock shifter when i was driving it!
Yeah, his is aftermarket. But he had it done at Autofashion. I already asked him, but he wasn't sure since he didn't watch them change it. :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
maybe this will help a little. . .

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119593&highlight=

So I pm'd this guy cause I like what he did and I asked him about the O/D button. Apparently he cut it out. When I asked him if he was going to remount it he said that he was going to place it near the base/bezel later down the road. But I have a feeling that this is what most people want to do. . . plus or minus the shift boot. I'm looking at doing this in the near future, rims first though for me. So if my money comes in and I do something about it I'll try to let everyone know what is up.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Ghost_1 said:
maybe this will help a little. . .

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119593&highlight=

So I pm'd this guy cause I like what he did and I asked him about the O/D button. Apparently he cut it out. When I asked him if he was going to remount it he said that he was going to place it near the base/bezel later down the road. But I have a feeling that this is what most people want to do. . . plus or minus the shift boot. I'm looking at doing this in the near future, rims first though for me. So if my money comes in and I do something about it I'll try to let everyone know what is up.
Nice post! That's exactly what I have in mind, including making the shaft shorter. (Does that sound right?)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I tried taking removing the stock shifter but a can't get it off because of the O/D button wire. Is there a way to disconnect it without messing up anything or do I just have to cut it to get the shifter off? Just don't want to mess up anything.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have to clip it off, but it would make things easier. According to the SL post he removed the shifter and then clipped the wire for the O/D. Try getting in contact with him since he already has an idea of what you are going through.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You want to cut the OD wire. I recommend cutting it withing a few inches of the connector on the rear of the shifter frame. If you haven't already done so, you have to remove the center console to see the connector. Only cut the wires and save the sleeve for use with the new shifter's wires. Also, before you do anything, make sure the new shifter handle's wires are long enough. If you cut the wires inside the shifter handle instead of near the connector, you'll probably have to do a solder splice instead of a crimp splice because of the tight space. Also, you will want to loosen the shifter frame to allow you to unclip the wires as they pass under the frame. One of the four bolts is under the shift rod. You don't have to remove that bolt completely. Just use an open ended wrench to loosen it.

Here's a tip to make the installation job easier. When you turn off the car, keep the brake pedal pressed. This releases the shifter lock so that you can check the operation of the new shifter handle without turning on the car to get it out of park. (Note: This worked for me while I was working on the shifter, but didn't work when I tested it a week later. ???)

In case you need this, the center console is held in by a screw in the rear cup holder and two push clips in the front. If you have a Zeta armrest, you have to remove it first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts