Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting my stuff ready to install a 12" sub and a amp to the stock headunit..kinda need a "How to" anything special I need?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
When I installed a NINe.2 and am 11 Kv.2 I used a 4 channel line output converter and a remote bass control knob. I got the 4 ch. LOC from Elemental Designs, but they no longer carry the unit I purchased. I then ran the RCAs from the LOC to the remote bass knob that I mounted in the little cubby hole in the dash down by the driver's left knee. I also painted the bass knob black so it would blend in with the rest of the dash.

This is the remote bass knob I used...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3792.html

If you do not want to use an LOC, I know that there are people that sell custom harnesses for the xB. They plug into the harness at the back of the stock head unit and provide you with RCAs to run the amp off of. This negates the need to tap into the factory wiring.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you do not want to use an LOC, I know that there are people that sell custom harnesses for the xB. They plug into the harness at the back of the stock head unit and provide you with RCAs to run the amp off of. This negates the need to tap into the factory wiring.
Is that the Subplug 2 harness I've seen?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Alrighty, there's an area where there's a BUNCH of wires going through, cut a small slit and feed the power wire through there.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If you can't get your hands on the sub-plug, you can always tap into the speakers behind the headunit and use a Scosche Line Converter. It's how I did mine. Since I am using an external 4 channel amp, I just cut the rear speakers out and used that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Alrighty, there's an area where there's a BUNCH of wires going through, cut a small slit and feed the power wire through there.
Just like BoomBox said...Pop a hole or cut a slit in the big grommet (outer edge) with all the cables going through (drivers side) into the cabin. Just be sure to seal it up real good.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I didn't even have to cut a slit. I just forced a small screwdriver through the center of the hole(careful of the other wires) then pushed the wire through. It comes out just to the left of the steering column(under the dash), if I remember correctly.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I think the easier one to get to is on the drivers side, right below the Brake fluid box to the right.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I think it would be much wiser to run your power on the drivers side, mainly because thats where your battery is, unless you want to run across the inside of your engine compartment.
Run power through drivers side gromet and have it run down through center console and out by the parking brake, that should work fine. Then run your RCA cables on the passenger side away from the power wire.
Just a suggestion, but it should work great and should be easier to install that way.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Use a knife to cut a small slit (not a hole) in the carpet under the seat where you want it to come out and run the wire through that (might be tough if a big gauge but when done it will look professional).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well im gonna try the other stopper on the driver side when i get time tomorrow. maybe i will run the wire under the dash to the passenger side kick panels. i just really dont understand why i cant get the wire through the passenger side stopper.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
dunno, but I didn't even know there was a passenger side stopper. Driver side is much easier to recognize and pretty big. I think I got an 8gauge power wire along with alarm wires and cathode lighting wires all runnin through that rubber gromet hole.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The rubber stoppers are almost identical. My cruise control box is in front of the drivers side grommet. I just really waant to get this done. if I can't I'm just gonna wire up what I can and take it to the stereo shop and have them finish it. Hurt pride is cheaper than a hurt toaster.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts