Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 XB, M/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 XB with a manual transmission that just stopped.. driving? moving (unless being pushed or hauled). it’s got 215k miles and prior to buying a new car in December, she was my daily driver (& my baby). Since then she has been driven pretty much exclusively by my husband, just to/from work. 3 weeks or so ago, I got home from a 12 hr shift, and my husband text to tell me that my XB suddenly stopped ‘going’ while he was coming home from work. Apparently he was just driving when poof the wheels were no longer getting any power to them. He is not knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles (like… at all), so I went and looked at her after I got home from grandfather’s funeral that afternoon, before I had to go back into work. and it‘s like it’s stuck in neutral. My clutch feels fine, my shifter feels normal, and it feels like like I’m putting her into gear (any of the 5 gears, including reverse ) but when I let up off the clutch…. nothing. The engine doesn’t stall. If I give it gas, the engine will rev up like normal.. but the car won’t go anywhere. And if i let off the clutch and I don’t give it gas (while in gear) my car just continues to quietly idle… Now, had this not been MY car, MY baby, I would have immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was either the clutch or transmission. But it is my car. I rebuilt her; all the repairs, paint, tint, body work, etc that’ve been done since I bought her, have solely been done by me. I know how she feels and sounds, if that makes sense. When I drive her, I am hyper aware of everything, and I can instantly tell if even the tiniest sound or vibration if ‘off’.. and then my brain goes into overdrive mentally dismantling the car, trying to pinpoint exactly where the noise or whatever is coming from. (I am sure that sounds insane; my brain works a little weirder than other people). Since this is my car, I’ve got a dilemma because I don’t feel like my clutch or transmission are the culprit….. but idk what is or what else is could be. I mean do transmissions typically just go out without warning? There have been a few occasions that I‘d notice a decrease in power to the wheels upon take off, like I would go to drive and the car would go, but the rpms weren‘t matching the power that my wheels were getting. So basically it would be like my RPMs would jump up and my car felt like it was just barely scooting (like I would only be going 15-20mph instead of the 25-30mph It should have been, but if let up off the gas a little it would catch up and continue on as normal. But this wasn’t frequent. Outside of that, I’ve never experienced any consistent issues with it switching gears or slipping/popping out of gear, no grinding, whirring, or whining noises, clutch pedal and shifter both still feel the same as they always have. I pulled the codes and it gave me a p030-0,1,3, an 4. Which is weird to me bc last time I had a misfire due to water getting into my spark well, it was very apparent. Currently the engine sounds normal, idle is smooth, rpms aren’t erratic.. It has new NGK laser iridium plugs with maybe 5k miles on them and less than 500 miles since my last oil change. It also has a brand new battery that was bought last winter when I replaced the belts, new alternator, new VSV, new VVT solenoid, new hoses, new radiator, new fan assembly, new pcv, new sway bar links & bushings, new front brake pads, new drum brakes, and new driver’s side-control arm, ball joint, rotor, steering knuckle, and wheel bearing. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some things, but I tried to list everything that wasn’t cosmetic. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
171 Posts
I don't have any ideas/suggestions other than visiting a mechanic, but one of my xBs (all 2006, so pretty much identical to yours) had the exact same thing happen to it. It's an automatic, though.

·
Registered
05 XB, M/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I pulled air box to be able to look at the the clutch master cylinder and the shift and select lever assembly and both a seem to be functioNing based on my visual inspection. I had my dad out today looking at it with me, who previously was not even willing to to hear me out when I was trying to explain what was happening (my reasons for it not needing to just replace the transmission) lol. its really hard to descibe what it’s doing and anyone believe you when you say you don’t think it’s the transmission. It’s like it’s stuck in neutral, but it‘s not because it’s not shifting out of neutral because it is shifting in and out of every gear with ease. Clutch pedal isn’t spongey or sticking and nothing is grinding or squeaky etc... 🤷🏻‍♀️ I am currently going back through and rereading the the service repair manual, but so far i haven’t come across anything that I hadn’t thought about since reading it the 1st time. I did, however, come across someone else’s video on YouTube who‘s 05 was doing the same exact thing. Well, except his appeared to be at least somewhat operational. But he was definitely not someone I would be willing to take his advise if he was demonstrating how to turn the windshield wipers on 😂 so there was no takeaway from it other than seeing someone else with the same/similar issue. When we were out looking at mine today, I had it in 1st and was attempting to get it to move while also showing my dad that it wasn’t producing any kind of noises that are associated with a bad clutch, clutch plate, or transmission and he said that at one point it looked like it was trying to move, but i still Never got it to move farther than the length of a single piece of gravel 😩 hopefully the rain holds off this morning and I can get out there and look over things a little closer while also making sure the fucking plugs weren’t fucked with. but based on how well I know my spouse/his short attention span &with it throwing the random misfire codes all of a sudden…. I’m sure there’s going to be some not screwed back in or connected 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
05 silver stick
168 Posts
most of the time when the transmission goes it will give warning with noise.
I know mine sure did
I would be checking out the function of the slave cylinder and the fluid level in it
making sure it is releasing the pressure plate

i would also check where the shift cable connects
to the trans there are rubber bushings there and if one of them
falls apart might give you that problem ??
if it all checks out ok you might have a problem in the transmission itself
good luck and let us know how you make out

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 05 XB with a manual transmission that just stopped.. driving? moving (unless being pushed or hauled). it’s got 215k miles and prior to buying a new car in December, she was my daily driver (& my baby). Since then she has been driven pretty much exclusively by my husband, just to/from work. 3 weeks or so ago, I got home from a 12 hr shift, and my husband text to tell me that my XB suddenly stopped ‘going’ while he was coming home from work. Apparently he was just driving when poof the wheels were no longer getting any power to them. He is not knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles (like… at all), so I went and looked at her after I got home from grandfather’s funeral that afternoon, before I had to go back into work. and it‘s like it’s stuck in neutral. My clutch feels fine, my shifter feels normal, and it feels like like I’m putting her into gear (any of the 5 gears, including reverse ) but when I let up off the clutch…. nothing. The engine doesn’t stall. If I give it gas, the engine will rev up like normal.. but the car won’t go anywhere. And if i let off the clutch and I don’t give it gas (while in gear) my car just continues to quietly idle… Now, had this not been MY car, MY baby, I would have immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was either the clutch or transmission. But it is my car. I rebuilt her; all the repairs, paint, tint, body work, etc that’ve been done since I bought her, have solely been done by me. I know how she feels and sounds, if that makes sense. When I drive her, I am hyper aware of everything, and I can instantly tell if even the tiniest sound or vibration if ‘off’.. and then my brain goes into overdrive mentally dismantling the car, trying to pinpoint exactly where the noise or whatever is coming from. (I am sure that sounds insane; my brain works a little weirder than other people). Since this is my car, I’ve got a dilemma because I don’t feel like my clutch or transmission are the culprit….. but idk what is or what else is could be. I mean do transmissions typically just go out without warning? There have been a few occasions that I‘d notice a decrease in power to the wheels upon take off, like I would go to drive and the car would go, but the rpms weren‘t matching the power that my wheels were getting. So basically it would be like my RPMs would jump up and my car felt like it was just barely scooting (like I would only be going 15-20mph instead of the 25-30mph It should have been, but if let up off the gas a little it would catch up and continue on as normal. But this wasn’t frequent. Outside of that, I’ve never experienced any consistent issues with it switching gears or slipping/popping out of gear, no grinding, whirring, or whining noises, clutch pedal and shifter both still feel the same as they always have. I pulled the codes and it gave me a p030-0,1,3, an 4. Which is weird to me bc last time I had a misfire due to water getting into my spark well, it was very apparent. Currently the engine sounds normal, idle is smooth, rpms aren’t erratic.. It has new NGK laser iridium plugs with maybe 5k miles on them and less than 500 miles since my last oil change. It also has a brand new battery that was bought last winter when I replaced the belts, new alternator, new VSV, new VVT solenoid, new hoses, new radiator, new fan assembly, new pcv, new sway bar links & bushings, new front brake pads, new drum brakes, and new driver’s side-control arm, ball joint, rotor, steering knuckle, and wheel bearing. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some things, but I tried to list everything that wasn’t cosmetic. Any ideas?
IIRC, it gets its fluid from the Power Steering reservoir. Check that to see if it has fluid....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We're talking manual trans here right? Gearbox gets gear oil from you filling it with 2 quarts. It's stingey and doesn't share. The slave cylinder shares juice with the brake mstr cylinder. Pwr steering is stingey too, no sharing.

Reactions: Cass

·
Registered
05 XB, M/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it’s a manual transmission. So, I wasn’t thinking of issues in the power steering dept. I know that she has a leak at one of the return line fittings. Nothing major, I just noticed it when I had her up on the lift last time & made a mental note that I needed to go ahead and get those replaced. PS still works fine. But then again my car worked fine too until suddenly she just didn’t 😅 i‘ve never had a transmission, manual or automatic, go out on one of my vehicles but I’ve seen them go out on other people.. & I’ve never witnessed anything like what mine is doing atm.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tread Rim

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design

1 - 8 of 8 Posts