Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, greetings from Toronto. I would like to change my dash lights from the original orange lights. When I spoke to my mechanic he asked if they are LED or regular bulbs. I have no idea, does anyone know or have changed their lights also? He mentioned something about soldering if they are LEDs therefore quoting me $1000 to do, however if they are bulbs he said it is much simpler and a fraction of the cost...any help is appreciated...Thanks!

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,674 Posts
If it's a 2nd gen the dash light are soldered on PLCC-2 LEDs. There are 15 LED that need to be changed for the 08-10 model, slightly different number for the 11-15 years. If you are handy with a low wattage soldering iron they aren't that difficult to change, I've changed mine three times. But it does require surface mount soldering to the cluster circuit board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gen 2

---------- Post added 10-31-2018 at 12:44 PM ----------

Ah OK thank you, not worth the cost for, I would have to pay someone to do it. Any alternative to have the light colour change? A film of some sort maybe...

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,674 Posts
Ah OK thank you, not worth the cost for, I would have to pay someone to do it. Any alternative to have the light colour change? A film of some sort maybe...
You could try putting a gel coat over the LEDs but I don't think it would be a good idea. Alternatively you could do a gauge face change but it'll still have the base lighting under it as orange.

Where are you located? If you're reasonably close to Los Angeles, or don't mind shipping your cluster, I can do the swap for $200.

·
A Flawed Perspective
159 Posts
I did it a long time ago. While it isn't that big of a task, if you have never solders before I would recommend practicing on a dummy circuit board first. Only because of how tiny to leads are and the already tiny LEDs. Also keep in mind that the factory gauge face has an orange tint to it. I changed mine to all white because I don't care for the orange and everything looked great except for the the printed area the needles sweep over... they came out yellowish.
Another great help would be to have a layout or map of the LEDs. Once you pop the board out (if I remember correctly) it's not labeled. When I get home from work I dig out the pictures I took.

I hope you don't get discouraged! Taking on projects is how we learn!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gen1 or Gen2?

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
Last time i checked, this was the Gen 2 forum. Why would a gen 1 guy come to a gen 2 section to ask the question. come on....
Yes, I know this is years later, BUT.. people are getting to dang lazy and NOT 1. reading the questions correctly or 2. Unsure of where they are and give stupid answers or ask questions that are obvious.
Next thing you know, he would ask if it was a bike or a car.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
nice thread revival, happens all the time on all kinds of forums, no need to blow up your brain over it, the forum lesson will not make it stop, try and be over it, have a nice day..............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts