Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the 3M brand clear bra on the front of their XB? If so, likes and dislikes please. Anybody that's considered using it and decided against it please chime in and let me know what your thoughts or experiences are.

Seems like the XB's front end is a rock magnet and I don't like the looks of a full black bra. Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a clear coat bra on my XB. I Paid a fortune for it. $750, but well worth it in my opinion. I just wish they covered the entire hood, instead of just half. I've had mine for over a year, and it's holding up pretty well. I noticed in some of the corners, it looks like it is slightly peeled which looks so minor since I'm a perfectionist. My bumper is well protected. Something you should definitely consider and I'm sure you can find someone to put one on for far cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Fatal. I've been quoted $740 by a "certified installer", which I think may be a small price to pay if it's installed right and is near invisible. So far my dealer doesn't seem to know if touch up paint will be available and at $300 a pint the Maziora color shifting paint wouldn't be a job to cheap to redo.

Everyone tries to tell me the color code is 3R2 which is agate bronze metallac clearcoat, but the Maziora color code 3R2/FZ96.

Is your clear bra invisible? I there anything you don't like about it?

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i was thinkin about it...but i like to wax my car...so i think i'll get the strap on type so i can take it off to wash and wax.

mostly thinkin about one just for long trips.
and color matched bras are available too

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's not totally invisible, you can see the edges of the film wrapped around the bumper. And when I mentioned that the hood is only half covered, you can see that line across the hood. Some people that haven't seen my car before initially think that someone keyed my hood, but I assure them that it's the bra. If you have it done, ask them if they will include the intire hood. It will look much better. And make sure they include the side mirrors, which were included in my package. Let me know if you have anymore questions.:cool:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Vanilla (my xB) has the 3M paint protection on the front. Is it visible, yes. Does it look bad? No. (Let's face it, the xB has a number of body joint lines and as long as the protection film lines are nice and regular, they usually don't even register with people.)

The protection really works, you can see what Vanilla's nose looks like in my gallery here, and a few barely visible straight lines looks a LOT better than road acne...

Here's a shot I took that shows the film edges very well because the sunlight is almost parallel with the side of the box:

HTH

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Wade bug deflector and that really has saved the bugs and the rocks. Cost was $110.00 installed. I love what it looks like as opposed to those other plaster covers that go over too much of the hood, distract from the great look of the vehicle, and are not good for the paint. Good luck with your decision...:)
Lois

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input Tomas great pic and I appreciate your opinion.

Lois, I agree certainly in some installations, not done right, it could and does distract from the great looks of any vehicle, but, I've not heard or read that it's not good for the paint. Is that a fact you've read somewhere or been told? I don't want to cover the front with anything harmful to the paint.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't believe it damages the paint job, however, the installer told me that it would be bad to remove the film if it was applied over an area that was repainted. The stock paint should be fine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i was thinkin about it...but i like to wax my car...so i think i'll get the strap on type so i can take it off to wash and wax.

mostly thinkin about one just for long trips.
and color matched bras are available too
Strap on cloth and vinyl bras will scratch your paint. Not a really good solution,

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't believe it damages the paint job, however, the installer told me that it would be bad to remove the film if it was applied over an area that was repainted. The stock paint should be fine.
Should be no probelme to remove from any properly applied paint factory or aftermarket. Problem comes when the paint shop did not properly prepare before painting aloowing bad adhesion...this paint might come off with the clear bra removal.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Get it no matter what the cost is! I regret that i didnt't want to spend $$$- not even a year old, the front of my box looks pretty bad. Get bumper, hood and front edge of the roof done. And beg for them to throw mirrors film in for free:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the input Tomas great pic and I appreciate your opinion.

Lois, I agree certainly in some installations, not done right, it could and does distract from the great looks of any vehicle, but, I've not heard or read that it's not good for the paint. Is that a fact you've read somewhere or been told? I don't want to cover the front with anything harmful to the paint.

Thanks for your input.
I read it years ago and then spoke to a dealership and they agreed that it ruined the paint. Sticks to it with no room to breath and then there is moisture buildup and whatever he added. I also saw one that had a cover on for quites some time and the paint had a different look than the rest of it which was not covered. Not as glossy and older looking.

Hope you find and use what's best for your very special xB...
Lois :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.