Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread on the Perrin pulley and it sounded good so I checked out the web site. They have some cool stuff on there. Has anyone used their intake system? It looks like it runs to the opposite side of the motor compared to other systems. If you have used it, what did you think?

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
There are a few things from a performance stand point that kind of bugs me.

The majority of the intake appears to be a "silicon/rubber/synthetic" tube, will it collapse upon itself under extremely hard acceleration? Maybe, maybe not.

Also, there is a bend before the throttle body. Bends create turbulence, and you'll also notice the placement of the MAF. It is before the bend.

In order to have the proper balance between the airfuel mixture, the air velocity must remain constant.

The question is: is the velocity being maintained from the point it is read at the MAF, to where it is at the throttle body? Especially through and at the completion of the bend?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
squirrel said:
There are a few things from a performance stand point that kind of bugs me.

The majority of the intake appears to be a "silicon/rubber/synthetic" tube, will it collapse upon itself under extremely hard acceleration? Maybe, maybe not.

Also, there is a bend before the throttle body. Bends create turbulence, and you'll also notice the placement of the MAF. It is before the bend.

In order to have the proper balance between the airfuel mixture, the air velocity must remain constant.

The question is: is the velocity being maintained from the point it is read at the MAF, to where it is at the throttle body? Especially through and at the completion of the bend?

That's what I was wondering, it looks cool but the function is in question. I'm not sure rubber would be the best material for sucking air...

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Also, the filter sits somewhat behind the front grill, not too much fresh air blowing in at that point.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Perrin does make some nice stuff though. I just dont think their intake is up to their other stuff.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
squirrel said:
Perrin does make some nice stuff though. I just dont think their intake is up to their other stuff.

Sure does look sweet though doesn't it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have the Perrin intake. It does seem like it would collapse, but I have driven many a miles with it on and had no probs. The silicone hose design is to withstand heat soak, kind of like a radiator hose, due to its location. I do agree about the MAF sensor, but the butt dyno says AOK!!!!! I probably wil be switching either to the weapon r or fujita intake pretty soon though, due to the fact that the Perrin sucks up my gas. In previous posts, I had told everyone that the fuel air ratio is out of wack no mater wha I do, so it sucks excess gas. I want a good intake for perf. and looks, not just looks. But when you pop that hood and see the way I have integrated it into my engine color scheme, its like DAAAAAMMMMNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Perrin Intake

I have seen the intake and I think it looks bitchen. About the pipe collapsing? Come on guys how much hp do these high hp Xbs have? I can see if we where pushing over 200hp or its a turbo application but I dont see as thick as the tubes are having this problem. I dont run the intake but looking at it I dont think there would be a problem.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure you're right about the rubber not collapsing but the direction the intake runs seems to go the wrong direction. Most of the intakes I've seen go towards the driver side of the engine compartment where there is less heat. Has anyone had better luck with the mpg's using this unit. Scott has one for sale and I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
airflow can be a tricky pickle...have there been any dyno tests from anyone on SL? That's the only real way of knowing.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
well, since I last posted on this, I reset my ecu the squirrel way;) and am now getting around 29 hwy and 26 street. Not bad for an SRI. Plus, I got an open grille from scionsport.com. Fresh air keeps a flowin now. It has improved definitly. But remember this also, I bought a filter from GrennfilterUSA to put on in. Basically a K&N style dry filter. The sponge that it comes with sucks A$$ and clogs real quick. I recommend if you buy this intake to purchase a different filter and wikk def. notice an improvment:D Also buy an open style grille, like a billet or JDM style one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.