Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gull wing doors on the xB? would it, could it work? I think it would look awsome! Not just lambo doors...GULL WING...like on the Delorian. I KNOW it would be alot of work if one decided to do it...but are the doors shaped right. You all know so much more than me...I am just wondering if my dream is in vain :( I may have to photochop it...but if anyone gets to it before me, by all means post it up!

-the one, the only, SIR

(formerly SirScion)

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Hmmm....... Seems like it could work, since the doors on the xB have posts. Ask Chris (Pandanky), he should know for sure.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
roof seems pretty weak, I dunno if it could handle the doors. Then again the doors are pretty light.... I dunno

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We asked around here in LV and the answer was DONT DO IT! The roof and doors are all wrong for it. But then anything is possible. :D

I think it would look weird but I dont like lambos either and for one thing they are soooo over done and played out!! :rolleyes:

JMO!

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah...thats the reason I dont want to do Lambo doors...it was just an Idea...thought maybe it would look cool.

HAPPY 100TH POST TO ME!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
If someone can do gullwing on a Jeep CJ7 with a hardtop then anything is possible......but a lot of work. As is the roof flexes now to reinforce the pivot point would take a lot of reinforcement....maybe tie the roof into a full car roll cage???

Only kidding best choice is DON"T DO IT!

·
Registered
212 Posts
supposedly, there was a guy with a four door vw that did it, but he actually welded the front and back doors together, so when they "gullwinged out" (for lack of better words), it would just be one huuuuge door opening up....I have a buddy with an xB going through that same process now (or at least attmepting it).....if my post is updated.....we'll all know he pulled it off ;)

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
kinda ugly imo. but if anyone can find a good body shop to do this it will be uber impressive and undoubtedly win shows.

·
Registered
168 Posts
it is entirely possible of course, some reinforcing would be required obviously, but all in all ... not that major of deal reall. Easier than the suicide doors IMHO.

although.. forget about ever parking next to someone in parking lot.. the doors are so long and slab sided, that they would have a very wide swing radius and if someone were to park next to you, you would play heck opening the doors far enough to be able to get inside.

If you notice, all the cars that've have gull wing doors or similiar .. the doors were not flat sided slabs like an xB's is

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
It can be done. BUT, you'll prolly need to fab up an inner skeleton/frame to do it. The roof doesn't look strong enuff for someting like that. Remember when Webasto had to buy back a few xBs because the ragtop was too big and ruined the structural integrity of the roof?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Resolve said:
maybe massive modifications and have it hinge from center of roof would be cool .. sorry just a thought..
DING DING DING!! 100% right there. That's how the old Mercedes SL300 was done. The Delorean functions the same way.

Check it out:

That's the way to Gull Wing without having to park 20 feet from somebody else. I think function would actually be pretty sweet. You could easily run a heavy support across the roof front to back and hinge everything from there. You'll be adding a LOT of weight up top though, so no more racecar stuff with it. You would also need to HEAVILY strengthen that section of roof and its connection to the door. Sealing it up would take some more work, but nothing is impossible.

It would be one hell of a vehicle!

-Alex

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
The cost of the mod would almost out cost the vehicle. and you could most definatly ruin the box.

Someone did it to a jetta, fronts were Lambo and the rears were Gullwing.

Lots and lots of work and money.

·
Registered
368 Posts
thought about it once, looked into it. Found out too much work and money to make it worthwhile.Needed a frame built to the box to handle the weight of the doors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
that would be cool and sweet as all hell but the problem is cash flow and the reality of actually using this in everyday use if its a trailer queens sure no prob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.