Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says any boxes out there on 20's? Pics? Hows the handling differ from stock 15's? Again im a newb to what to buy and will I have to get my wheel wells worked on if my box is at stock height?

Thanks for help in advance

-Iggy:D

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
DAMN THIS CHILI IS HOT. my mouth is on fire.

im not sure that you have to roll your inner fenders if you roll 20s at stock height. ive got some 17s at stock height and theres PLENTY of wheel gap -=[.
i know theres a few people with 20s hopefully they will chime in here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DAMN THIS CHILI IS HOT. my mouth is on fire.

im not sure that you have to roll your inner fenders if you roll 20s at stock height. ive got some 17s at stock height and theres PLENTY of wheel gap -=[.
i know theres a few people with 20s hopefully they will chime in here.
Thanks thats good to know I just want to know what/if Illhave to do anything in that area cause If I do im dropping to 19's. I live in RI and basically anything I do to my box wouldnt be tacky lol. Im a vanity man black with chrome lip = hawt.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
There's a guy here in the midwest rollin' on 20s. He had to do some serious hammer game to make everything fit at stock height. I can't remember the width of the wheel, but I do remember him talking about rubbing issues with the wheel at full turn.

After awhile he ended up dropping it on 1" springs, and it looked SUPER SWEET.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
I've got a bud who has 20's on his and he to do a little modding to the front fenderwells. And it only rubbed at full turn. I believe they were a 20 x 7.5 size wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know about 20's but I have 19" and a 2" drop kit and have no problems whatsoever. with 215/35R-19 tires it fills up the wheelwells pretty good. There is only about 1.5" of sidewall above the wheel with 19's (rubberband territory) so with 20" the ride will be hell. You need to remember that if you go taller than the stock tire hieght with the 185/60R-15 tires you will throw out your speedometer. Look for the "revolutions per mile" listing in the tire cataloges and don't fluctuate more than 2% up or down and you should be OK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know about 20's but I have 19" and a 2" drop kit and have no problems whatsoever. with 215/35R-19 tires it fills up the wheelwells pretty good. There is only about 1.5" of sidewall above the wheel with 19's (rubberband territory) so with 20" the ride will be hell. You need to remember that if you go taller than the stock tire hieght with the 185/60R-15 tires you will throw out your speedometer. Look for the "revolutions per mile" listing in the tire cataloges and don't fluctuate more than 2% up or down and you should be OK.
You so lost me :/ ... I have no clue what ppl mean by cambers and w/e other tires terms there are haha. I just assume by 20 inch tires add rims and poof! ... yes I have a LONG way to go. but RIMS are first on my list, followed by rear suicide doors.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Even 18" rims the ride is much harsher than the stock 15 inch wheel and tire combo. I have 18x7.5" rims with oversized 215/40/18 tires...my speedo is off 3.4% slow. This combo with a 2 inch drop slightly touches only if you jamb the steering against the stop on either side. My setup rides just a little stiffer than a stock overall diameter 17" setup, but, not as stiff as the normal 215/35/18 tire used on 18" rims. With the right width and offset I am sure 20" wheels will clear at heights from stock to laid out, but, I would fear the ride quality...and the potential for rim damage if your roads are not very smooth.

By the way, when you change the overall tire diameter you alter the final overall drive ratio of the power train as well. Way too tall a tire (or too short) with out internal gear ratio changes to the powertrain can kill your performance and/or mileage. This is why when you get a larger diameter rim you get a shorter, smaller diameter (overall) tire as the vehicle is engineered for this specific overall tire diameter. A shorter sidewall means a stiffer ride and less protection for the rim from pothole damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even 18" rims the ride is much harsher than the stock 15 inch wheel and tire combo. I have 18x7.5" rims with oversized 215/40/18 tires...my speedo is off 3.4% slow. This combo with a 2 inch drop slightly touches only if you jamb the steering against the stop on either side. My setup rides just a little stiffer than a stock overall diameter 17" setup, but, not as stiff as the normal 215/35/18 tire used on 18" rims. With the right width and offset I am sure 20" wheels will clear at heights from stock to laid out, but, I would fear the ride quality...and the potential for rim damage if your roads are not very smooth.

By the way, when you change the overall tire diameter you alter the final overall drive ratio of the power train as well. Way too tall a tire (or too short) with out internal gear ratio changes to the powertrain can kill your performance and/or mileage. This is why when you get a larger diameter rim you get a shorter, smaller diameter (overall) tire as the vehicle is engineered for this specific overall tire diameter. A shorter sidewall means a stiffer ride and less protection for the rim from pothole damage.
If yourself or anyone could PM a tire size/ratio etc. for a pair of 20's Id appreciate it very very much. I just want to have a clue when I call body shops around here ya know? Also what your saying is as long as I dont drop my box (which I still might ...) I should be fine just rollin on the 20's yeah?:confused:

·
Registered
325 Posts
If yourself or anyone could PM a tire size/ratio etc. for a pair of 20's Id appreciate it very very much. I just want to have a clue when I call body shops around here ya know? Also what your saying is as long as I dont drop my box (which I still might ...) I should be fine just rollin on the 20's yeah?:confused:
I would say yes but you need the right width, offset, and tire size to work. I haven't fit 20" rims myself I could not deal with the very harsh ride they will deliver even 18's with a standard tire are to harsh for me. I would guess about a 20x7.5 with a 39-42MM offset would be about right. You need a 205/25/20 tire...or a 165/30/20, or a 145/35/20 to match factory diameter, not sure anyone makes any tires these sizes...so you likely end up having to use oversized tires making your speedo run slow and maybe cutting acceleration a little. (I have found recommendations for a 19" wheel use a 215/35/19 which is 4.2% too big).

As long as you find 20x7.5 wheels with a 42mm offset and a tire that is 23.9-25inches in diameter the combo would fit just like my 18's they would be the same size!..and would not require any body mods. Not sure there are many tire choices available in the sizes you really need for this.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ted is dead on with the wheel size. You can vary a little bit, but not much. Especially if you are dropped. When looking for tires you're going to want to look for a 225/30/20. Pretty much the smallest 20" tire out there. Plenty of companies making that size now. And prices will range anywhere from about $120/tire up to $300/tire.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ted is dead on with the wheel size. You can vary a little bit, but not much. Especially if you are dropped. When looking for tires you're going to want to look for a 225/30/20. Pretty much the smallest 20" tire out there. Plenty of companies making that size now. And prices will range anywhere from about $120/tire up to $300/tire.
A 225/30/20 is only 5.8% too big, resulting in the speedo reading 5.8% slow...is about the only avaiable tire size I found that would work readily with this application tho...most everything available is bigger still.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a set of 20x7.5's. 20 being height and 7.5 being width. That's the rim size. The tires are 225/30/20. width of tire=225, sidewall=30, size of rim=20. On the inside of the front fender well, on the side of the interior, there is a spot that rubs the tire. You need to knock that spot back flush with the rest of the fender well. There is also a tow plate on each side. You have to knock each of them away from the tire. No modification is needed on the rear. The ride is pretty harsh and you really need to watch out for potholes, but it pays to play baby. I'd suggest a set of Monroe gas shocks and struts to remedy the harsh ride. I know they are in my not so distant future along with a set of tanabe nf210 lowering springs or some tein h-techs for that classy 1.5 inch drop.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
get toasted

your 3/4 right the 225 refers to total tire including side wall the 30 refers to the % of whole tire that is sidewall so.. 225/30/20= 225mm tire x30% or each sidewall is about 33.75mm and tread width is about 157.5 mm
225x.30 divided by two will get side wall. and 225x .70 will get tread width :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts