Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am looking to buy an XB and noticed on the website that there is a $675 Dealer processing fee and also $659 Documentation fee and was wondering if you guys have paid for both of these or just one or none at all?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Depends on where you live and on the dealer involved.

In my state the documentation fee is fixed, by the state, at $35, and all new car buyers pay it. It is to cover the documentation work by the dealer to register the vehicle title, and change your title over to you when the vehicle is paid for.

Some states have higher recommended fees, some have no recommendations, many allow dealers to charge whatever they want to and call it 'documentation fees.'

In many cases, ridiculous documentation fees are merely a 'hidden' source of extra profit for dealers who want to play those games. Sadly, many do.

I paid a mandated documentation fee of $35 when I bought my new xB.

My total invoice was posted price of the xB, state tax, license, and documentation fee. The dealer did not add any cute "profit" fees to the cost.

YMMV,
Tomas

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would look for a different dealer. I didnt pay it, but would have if I had gone to the dealer closest to me. I would say it is worth it to go out of state, just to buy the car for the money you would save.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've actually decided not to buy a vehicle from a local dealer soley because of the documentation fee. I refused to pay the 249.00 fee they were charging. No-one at the dealer could tell me exactly where the money goes. So, out the door I went. A nominal fee is fine because I realize dealers need to pay their employees to process tags, tax paperwork etc but 249.00 worth of work? I think not. I went to another dealer and paid 89.99. Hey, I earn every dollar so, I don't want to give it away. This fee should be standardized at every dealer in every state. It should also be itemized to show the customer where the "Doc Fees" are being assesed. They certainly have room for all the other fine print.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.