Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I guys...so I bought another set of wheels while waiting for my panasports to come.

I just bought a set of Volk LE-37T's in 17" x 7.5".

since I would prefer to run a 225/40/17 but can't find what I consider to be a great street tire, I am looking towards a 235/40/17.

Has anyone ran this tire on their car in 17"? wheel widths? offsets?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
630 Posts
205 should be fine or even 215. 225 are going to look to fat. I have run 215/40 on 17x8 but 205 are better looking.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why? Even 215's are too wide for our xB's. Yes you could probably fit those 235's in there with the right offset, but I have noticed when I roll on my 215's that they are too wide for the car.

When I hit bumps and uneven spotsin the the pavement, thetires are so wide that they really give alot of force feedback into the steering. When I run my stock wheels and tired in the winter it goes away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
205 should be fine or even 215. 225 are going to look to fat. I have run 215/40 on 17x8 but 205 are better looking.
I'm all about corners in this car. I already have 205/40/17's on the xB right now and there still is not enough traction in corners. The box pushes like crazy and even with a sway bar, the car is lacking lateral traction, so I want to go wider...

Why? Even 215's are too wide for our xB's. Yes you could probably fit those 235's in there with the right offset, but I have noticed when I roll on my 215's that they are too wide for the car.

When I hit bumps and uneven spotsin the the pavement, thetires are so wide that they really give alot of force feedback into the steering. When I run my stock wheels and tired in the winter it goes away.
what you are noticing is the difference in sidewalls more than the tread width. on a low pro 40 series tire, you have a stiffer sidewall than on a stock 60 series tires. The 60 series has much more flex and acts like added suspension, vs the low pro being rigid and tranferring the majority of the impacts directly to the suspension and steering. But you are abosolutely correct that wider tires will tend to track ruts and crowns.

I'm hoping that with my wheel/tire set up, I can be relatively close to stock weights. I figure the 235 tire I want is about 23 lbs and the wheel is 15 lbs for a total of ~ 38 lbs. do you guy know what a stock 15" wheel/tire combo weighs?

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
215/40-17 are the same, or really close to OEM rolling diameter. I had a set of 17x7s w/ 205/40s, and tires were too small. When I ran 215/40s on 17x7.5 Buddy Clubs it was almost identical to OEM.

I checked it w/ my radar gun, and the mile markers on one of the frequrntly used frontage roads.

225s and 235s are too tall.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Pushing or Understeer can also be driver induced, and not taking the proiper line etc......... Same w/ Oversteer. Being an EVOC Instructor, I can demonstrate both w/o changing the set-up on the car.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
It should also be noted, that almost all cars come from the factory to have understeer. Its more of a safety factor as most cannot correct in an oversteer situation quick enough, and as a result, a collision will occur.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts