552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same price but two reasons I like these more than the Sportsmax
1) these don't have all those rivets around the sides
2) these dont have the 8 hole universal lug pattern (I hate that)

The only down side is I was leaning towards 17....maybe 18" and the Nippon's are 16"

Anyone ever even heard of this brand? Good? Bad? Am I the Guennie Pig?

I don't care about name brands, just don't what a wheel trashed in a year.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have heard bad things about nippon wheels. I found a set I wanted for my last car. I went to discount tire to have them order them and they refused. They said they had ordered wheels from them several times and they always arrived damaged.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rota makes those also...GAB knock offs

·
Registered
131 Posts
Last I checked, Nippon was distributed through OBX. Keep in mind these, the Drags, and all the other GAB knock offs all probably come from the same wheel factory, but with different centercaps to fit the respective brand.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm gonna give them a try. I offered a low $200 and he took it (for the 15") so I'll give to report on how I like them.

cheers

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Good stuff man. Let us know. This could make or break the company (in some standards). The company meaning Nippon, not the seller.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got the rims in today. I like them a lot. I will have to wait till spring to mount them though, to much snow and chemicals on road this time of winter.

Here is what they look like, they're gunmetal pc, they match the SM well IMO

And here is the fat lip, and yes that is a real quarter, not photochopped

:D
cheers

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Good looking wheels. Dont you want to mount them just to take pics? What size tires do you have in mind? Totally agree on fake rivets and universal hole pattern!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good looking wheels. Dont you want to mount them just to take pics? What size tires do you have in mind? Totally agree on fake rivets and universal hole pattern!!!
I'm just gonna transfer the stock tires on them come spring as the rims are 15x7, else I'd already have them temp mounted for pictures.

So in the box (not the box, just their box :) ) they sit till about april :(

They are funny the way they market these rims. All over the box it has Japanese Flags, says Engineered in Japan but on inside of rim says “made in Taiwan.” Even the ebay ad says JDM in title. Everywhere on the packaging says “Engineered in Japan” with Japanese flags, I guess they didn’t lie cause it doesn’t say made in Japan anywhere. Not that I care where they are made, I’m a poor college adult. Just think it’s funny the truth stretching they try.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
It's possible the engineering department is in Japan, and they outsourced the manufacturing to Taiwan.....

Good lookin' wheels though man! Keep us updated on how they hold up when you get them on the box!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's possible the engineering department is in Japan, and they outsourced the manufacturing to Taiwan.....

Good lookin' wheels though man! Keep us updated on how they hold up when you get them on the box!
I know it's possible, the point is it's funny how they try so hard to say these are JDM rims, when it is clear they a knock-offs. When they should just focus on how cool they look.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Engineered in Japan, inspired by LeMans, made in India, who cares. The company tries everything to sell anything. Your wheels look good, little retro, Hope you will be happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts