Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im driving home today and all of a sudden my skid control light pops up then it starts beeping and my front brakes start locking up...so I pull over...I start looking at it but i dont really know what to look at...anyways at the moment my car will not go past 10MPH or else the brakes start locking up and the skid control light starts popping up and beeping....Does anybody what this might be?

·
Registered
520 Posts
something is causing your trac. control into think that the wheels are slipping! if you have warrenty i suggest take it to the dealer if not then i still reccomend that cause you don't even want to get into trac. control stuff its a nightmare! Good luck and I hope whatever is you can get it fixed and it not cause any harmful problems!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you try to shut off traction control by pressing the TRAC OFF button next to the steering wheel? Just might be a temporary fix.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill try the battery thing tomorrow and if not ill try the TRAC button.....thanks for the info guys...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...I tried the TRAC off solution but that didnt work...I also tried disconnecting the battery and then connecting to work and that seemed to work....but the problem I have now is that when I step on the Brake I hear a clicking noise and I feel it clicking somewhere in shift lever...Does anybody know what that can be?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Why are my ears burning? Oh. Hi, all! :D

VSC light? Those are complex systems - sometimes nasty.

Start here?
http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/04_xB_S... Diagnostics/ABS system/VCS warning light.pdf

It's best if you can get someone to see if a "DTC" is stored showing why it went into panic mode. If you have a ScanGuage or other access to an OBDII reader, that should show you the code, if not, some auto stores (AutoZone, etc.) will read it for you, no charge/no obligation.

Once you have a better idea what caused it, you might be able to track it down pretty easily. Hopefully it's just some minor bobble.

Hope that helps!
Tomas

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
My idea, would be to take off the wheels, and check where the sensors are to make sure that A) nothing is kinked or caught with anyline or cable B) any other visual mechanical failures. Oddly enough, working on cars long enough, MOST problems have SOME visible indicator. Even with all the computers and shiz that can go wrong, you can ususally tell something is amiss when just poking around.

This is a time where I really wish I was in CA, so I could lend some help and check it out in person. Since disconnecting the battery and reconnection, Im guessing it reset the brain enough to not throw the light, but the fact that its clicking shows the problem is still there. Did you feel or notice the clicking when the light was on?

Scotty

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys much help indeed...now I will take a look at this today so I can figure out whats wrong with this damn thing...it hurts just to look at her sit just begging to be driven....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Um yeah, that could be serious.

First, like Scott said, pull the front wheels and make sure there isn't a raccoon or snake or deer or something like that wrapped up in the caliper or something like that. Then check the rear wheels because the problem could easily be back there too. Then pull the drums on the rear brakes and look inside of them (they could've somehow slipped in adjustment and are just locked which would explain everything).

All of this is, of course, moot if you still have a little bit of warranty left. Remember, if you're scared about the whole "is it covered" thing the worst they can do is say "no" and charge you about $100 or less.

-Alex

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i know for sure im not covered under warranty cuz i only had the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty and I am now out of that...but if its only a $100 they will charge me then I would do it in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quadoptix said:
will u wouldnt have happened to change ur steering wheel did you? if u did u need to remove the steering mechanism with the wiring and sensor.
yea i did remove my steering wheel i dont think i did that can I get some more info on that...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.