Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I installed my new stereo a month ago or so my A/C keeps blowing a fuse when I turn it on. I took the stereo out today and checked all my wire runs. I found no bare wires or unwanted grounds. I traced the wires from the A/C switch as far as I could but found no cuts or crimps. I am assuming it didn't stop working on it's own but so far I haven't been able to find any wiring goofs that would cause it to blow a fuse. Any suggestions?

I took it to the dealer the other day but they said they couldn't check it out unless I wanted to pay 280 bucks for diagnostics since I've installed after market electrical devices to the Box.

Help? Please?

Oh, there are no other electrical problems besides the A/C. Everything else works fine.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cravin said:
Did you try disconnecting your stereo power leads and amp power leads then trying your A/c?
Yup. Still blew a fuse. That's the part I can't figure out. If I don't have anything tied into the A/C power or ground how is it blowing? My brain hurts.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cravin said:
You need a schematic to troubleshoot further.
Yeah, I'm gonna take a look again in the morning. The majority of the wire is inside of wire wrap so it makes it tough to trace out.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cravin said:
diconnect the A/C comressor clutch and see if it still blows the fuse. Does the fuse blow when you push the a/c button on or just turn the cabin fans on?
Only when the A/C button is pushed. The fan switch works fine.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved. With great confidence and a v/o meter I set about to fix my A/C problem today. I carefully removed the center console, dash and stereo, then removed the entire stereo from the dash. I removed the iPod interface unit and connecting cables. I checked every visible inch of wiring in the dash and found absolutely no cuts, nicks or smashed pieces. I carefully put everything back together and installed a new fuse. With much trepidation I inserted the key and turned it. I reached out to turn on the cabin fan switch and depress the A/C button...and the damn thing worked!!!!!!

I have no friggin' idea why but now the thing works fine. I guess I must have scared the Gremlins out of the dash wiring or something.

Happy Happy Joy Joy :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I spent 14 years in a paper mill. The first thing the electricians would do when they had to come fix a problem, was bang on whatever it was that was acting up.:p

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boxd_up_2 said:
If all else fails...use a bigger hammer!!! :D
Sounds like a FORD mechanic. ;)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boxd_up_2 said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Ewww...FORD...get it off...get it off...lol :D
FORD:
Found On Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily
Figure On Repairs Daily

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
FORD:
Found On Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily
Figure On Repairs Daily
FORD backwards:
Driver returns on foot.

Hear about the new F150, it's got a heater in the tailgate...That way the owner can keep his hands warm while he pushes it in the winter...lmao ;)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boxd_up_2 said:
FORD backwards:
Driver returns on foot.

Hear about the new F150, it's got a heater in the tailgate...That way the owner can keep his hands warm while he pushes it in the winter...lmao ;)
Awesome! ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Glad it's 'fixed.' :) Hope it stays that way.

Like to mention one thing, though: "...diconnect the A/C comressor clutch and see if it still blows the fuse..." - the xB doesn't have a compressor clutch. I has a variable displacement compressor - the compressor shaft always turns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I Had This Problem When Installing Leds.
Look For The White Squareish THing Behind The Middle Ac Control Knob.
Is There A Spring Missing?
If Not The Greased Up Knob Behind The Spring Is Probable Unsyncronized, That Can Cause The HVAC To Blow.
$1 Dollar Part That Can Cause $100 Damage.
Good Thing Mine Was Under Warrenty.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rvg2151 said:
I Had This Problem When Installing Leds.
Look For The White Squareish THing Behind The Middle Ac Control Knob.
Is There A Spring Missing?
If Not The Greased Up Knob Behind The Spring Is Probable Unsyncronized, That Can Cause The HVAC To Blow.
$1 Dollar Part That Can Cause $100 Damage.
Good Thing Mine Was Under Warrenty.
I've still got the spring in mine. I think there must have been a pinched wire that I just couldn't see.

When you went to the dealer to get the spring replaced how did you explain it not being there? Didn't they try to get out of a warranty fix by saying that you did it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts