Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wandering if anyone has a tc automatic trans xb and what hp gains they've seen as well as 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
214 Posts
em cai, jic exhaust, custom 2.5'' piping to axle, aem standalone, aem map sensor holding up to 3.5 bar, aria pistons, custom port and polish job, regrind cam, hks gauges, hks gt2510 t3 turbo and gt2 wastegate, dc sport header, 103 octane gas (when dyno'd), custom intercooler, custom motor mounts, perrin fuel rail, 370cc injectors, custom rod, and then a few other little things.

200whp, 12.5psi, high 12's low 13's with slicks and race gas.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn my hats off to u killer, I just got the greddy sp2 exhaust for xmas from my girl and relised that it was quiet due to a silencer in the mid pipe, I just had a quote today for header back stainless steel exhaust 2.25" $300-400. And hes going to hack the 2" off the muffler to get rid of any restrictions. That price doesn't include the cat I have to buy. I plan on going with the greddy tc with there intercooler and eventually after that find a set of heads and have them reworked by a local shop that does great work for a great price. I was just wandering what I could expect specially with the auto trans.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Damn my hats off to u killer, I just got the greddy sp2 exhaust for xmas from my girl and relised that it was quiet due to a silencer in the mid pipe, I just had a quote today for header back stainless steel exhaust 2.25" $300-400. And hes going to hack the 2" off the muffler to get rid of any restrictions. That price doesn't include the cat I have to buy. I plan on going with the greddy tc with there intercooler and eventually after that find a set of heads and have them reworked by a local shop that does great work for a great price. I was just wandering what I could expect specially with the auto trans.

That kit, expect high 15's at best unless on slicks and race gas. Of course, i'm saying this on a untouched motor expect the kit. Good luck to you, feel free to ask any questions..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really, I was hoping for mid 14's with the auto trans I thought someone on here had a greddy kit running low 14's. Are we the only ones with autos that r turbocharge or going to be turbocharged? Now did u do the work urself or did u take it somewhere? The thing I don't get about the different kits producing different hp gains is 8psi is 8psi so what r the differences in the kits allowing the zpi or the hks to run smoother?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Really, I was hoping for mid 14's with the auto trans I thought someone on here had a greddy kit running low 14's. Are we the only ones with autos that r turbocharge or going to be turbocharged? Now did u do the work urself or did u take it somewhere? The thing I don't get about the different kits producing different hp gains is 8psi is 8psi so what r the differences in the kits allowing the zpi or the hks to run smoother?
All really boils down to design. Never (unless a major difference in tuning) will two turbo kits running identical psi be too far off from each other. For instance, it would be impossible for 1 8psi turbo to produce 105 and the other 8psi produce 140whp without there being a nice list of unknown mods.

I'm the only one with as much work done to the motor, i believe. There was one guy that ran 10psi on his auto before he sold it..i believe he was running basic internals, basic tune, 140whp +/-. Forget his name. They are out there, but you usually don't hear about them as often as our manual counter parts.

I would lie if i said i did all the work myself, but i would say i did 80-85% of the work myself. The 15-20% left would be either relying on others, or having people help me and me just doing the basics.

Greddy's turbo kit only produces 125whp on manuals, which is about 115whp on an auto. You won't be near 14's. You'll be in the 15's though, with some slicks you may even be near low 15's.

Let me put it this way, from my experience with the box (i do have weight reduction, so i'm basing these numbers on that) this is how much power you need to get where.

Stock-105whp - 16's and with slicks mid/possibly low 16's but would never see 15's.

106whp-115whp - lower 16's with street tires to high 15's, slicks and race gas i'd say the fastest you'd be would be 15.4/15.5

116whp-125whp - mid 15's with street tires, slicks and race gas possibly breaking 14.9's with 125whp depending on a lot..but 15.0 +/- i'd say is a safe bet.

126-135whp - Street tires low 15's to upper 14's, race gas and slicks i'd say an average of mid 14's to upper 14's.

136whp-145whp - Street tires mid to high 14's, race gas and slicks low 14's to high 13's.

146whp-155whp - Street tires mid 14's average, race gas and slicks you'd probably hit an average of 13.8-14.2.

156whp-165whp - Street tires low 14's, race gas and slicks a fairly constant 13.6-14.0

166whp-175whp - Street tires high 13's, which is about as good as your going to get with street tires because even with great performance tires, light car + 160's+ traction says goodbye. Slicks and race gas mid 13's.

176-185whp - Street tires upper 13's, slicks and race gas mid 13's with occasional lower 13's.

186-200whp - Street tires mid to upper 13's, mostly upper such as 13.6+.. Slicks and race gas, anything from 12.6-13.4

201whp-210whp - Street tires mid to upper 13's, slicks and race gas anything from 12.5-13.2.

Hope that helps what your after.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I'd say the #'s from my limited experience r pretty close the kits I've looked at say a 50% gain which should be 140-150......but that could be flywheel gain and not whp. I'll have to do more research my buddie that used to woek with me and older guy is an airflow engineer by trade and used to work for Carol Shelby back in the day now he reprograms nav systems for Mercedes but he knows alot about turbos and I gonna get him to tune it for me. I may even contact turbonetics and see if they can give me some ideas maybe to piece together a kit. Who knows def want a turbo

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow, I'd say the #'s from my limited experience r pretty close the kits I've looked at say a 50% gain which should be 140-150......but that could be flywheel gain and not whp. I'll have to do more research my buddie that used to woek with me and older guy is an airflow engineer by trade and used to work for Carol Shelby back in the day now he reprograms nav systems for Mercedes but he knows alot about turbos and I gonna get him to tune it for me. I may even contact turbonetics and see if they can give me some ideas maybe to piece together a kit. Who knows def want a turbo
Its flywheel (crank) gains, not whp. 50% of 80whp (stock for autos are between 80-86whp) is 40whp which would put you at 120whp, now the problem with this is not many companies advertise "correctly"..This is based on perfect, ideal conditions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah thats the problem now a days u can't expect professionalism from companies they claim certain #'s that r not attainable under normal conditions. I guess I'll just have to research more. Now for the front mount intercooler I was thinking about getting 1 of those universal piping kits cause a guy is giving me a intercooler of his honda(he had it on there for show still has the end caps lol) how'd u pipe urs?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I know you guys are talking autos, but Eloy put down a consistent 140+/- whp with his manual. He was running the intercooled Greddy turbo with a Magnaflow cat-back and Exedy Stage 1 clutch. That was also with his own custom tuning with emanage on the dyno. I would imagine the Greddy numbers for the auto being somewhere close to that with a proper tune. Probably around 135+/-.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool I would like to hear all the numbers from guys with the greddy turbo. But I'd have to say killer is close in everything he says I was talking to my engineer buddy and he said pretty much the same thing. I've heard that the whp normally is 92 but again that couldve been manual trans but even if it was the same for the auto 92 + 40 is 132 and thats low 15s and high 14's. I am hoping that with the custom exhaust in stainless and tuning it will be 140-150whp.....any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I doubt you'll hit the 140-150 mark. As I stated in my last post... Eloy was hitting a consistent 140 whp with custom eManage tuning and a full 2.25" SS Magnaflow exhaust.

Now if you were to crank up boost pressure and run a larger (2.5") exhaust you may see more. But tuning will be much more difficult, and you will be putting your internals at greater risk.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm sure, but the zpi kit is pushing 180whp so Im they can handle it. I also will add with in time a perrin fuel rail and bigger injectors.....but all my research will be done in advance

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I wouldn't rely too much on ZPI's claims. They put down 180 whp for one dyno run on a prototype kit on their own car. There have been no dyno runs on the other two preliminary kits that they have sold. ProshopxB got the first on his auto. He was lowing boost pressure than the manual cars and has now uninstalled the kit for personal reasons. He has it up for sale.

FusionScion has the other kit they sold on his manual. He was supposedly running the same pressure as ZPI was when they made their dyno run. But keep in mind that this was with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT turbo system. Different turbo, different turbo location, different piping. Fusions car now has a blown transmission and is back at ZPI. They are going to attempt a tC transmission swap. There hasn't been anything said on whether or not there was any engine damage. I assume no.

ZPI still doesn't have a production ready kit and have not started shipping.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I apreciate all the info...I need to hear all this in order o make good decissions. Another idea I had was to piece together a kit by communicating with turbonetics for technical support and just getting the main components of the turbo kits like injectors fuel rail turbo oil lines manifold intercooler fuel management then having it tuned....but again just a thought would have to do alot of research....I keep urging my buddy to get in contact with his toyota engineer friends...but he's a slacker lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
em cai, jic exhaust, custom 2.5'' piping to axle, aem standalone, aem map sensor holding up to 3.5 bar, aria pistons, custom port and polish job, regrind cam, hks gauges, hks gt2510 t3 turbo and gt2 wastegate, dc sport header, 103 octane gas (when dyno'd), custom intercooler, custom motor mounts, perrin fuel rail, 370cc injectors, custom rod, and then a few other little things.

200whp, 12.5psi, high 12's low 13's with slicks and race gas.
AEM makes a stand alone for our box?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No. They make a universal Stand Alone ECU. Tony (killerxromances) made it work on his xB. He is the only one I know of running a stand alone ecu. Well, except for the xA from the guys that did the ITB setup.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah thats the problem now a days u can't expect professionalism from companies they claim certain #'s that r not attainable under normal conditions. I guess I'll just have to research more. Now for the front mount intercooler I was thinking about getting 1 of those universal piping kits cause a guy is giving me a intercooler of his honda(he had it on there for show still has the end caps lol) how'd u pipe urs?
I calculated what all of the mods my old car would have been if the manufacturers claim had been right. It was about 465 REAR WHEEL hp on a car with ~299 rwhp stock.

As far as a I am concerned that is quite a bit of a gain considering all I did was intake lid, filter, smooth bellows, 170 thermo, timing advanced, LT headers, Y-pipe and exhaust.

Yeah, never trust a manufacturer. I would have had to have been running ~12 psi intercooler with a hell of a tune to ever reach that number.

All of those tested numbers they give are usually with a stock programmed car and then they program it "for the part" they are advertising. While a tune by itself usually would give around 10 hp anyway.

I hate that crap, K&N saying that you can get up to 15 hp with just a damn filter, not even a intake JUST the filter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats just it, it is so hard to make any good decissions cause in reality the #'s never match...I'm still waiting on the dyno from a 350 sb I built and sold...had a custom s-10 that I was going to put a v-8 in but due to circumstances had to get rid of and sell the motor and trans...I was basing my hp gains of the summit ho 350 but was using better internals and all high performance stuff love for the guy to get back to me to see how the #'s matched. I just want to have a daily driver that can also have balls behind it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.