Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the stock taillights the other day and there are, to borrow a phrase, a metric buttload of tabs holding the lens on. Has anyone had any luck removing them? I started to attempt it but realized I either needed a special tool, five pairs of hands or the talent to use ten screwdrivers at the same time. Am I missing something, a trick to removing the lens...or just being my usual moronic self? Help. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
hahahah. i know its hard but i think theres something on scionlife.com like a walk through. thats why i just feel like painting them form the outside and spraying uv protection. but don't want to mess it up. poor man buget can't aford new tail light if they come out messed up not the ones i want any way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate going over there but I'll check and see what they have posted. I already have the TYC tails on mine now but I was toying with a new mod idea for the stocks. They be a beeyotch to get off though.

Nic, don't think I hadn't given the oven some consideration...decided against it though. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy hot pads Batman...I just check on SL and the Don used the oven to open his tails. I guess I wasn't as crazy as I thought I was. I'm gonna try it tonight. Let you know how it turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
Yes, please do! This was gonna be my next mod, but not if it's too much hassle. After all, Jeff is the mod guy, and I'd hate to torture him any more than I already do. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PUNISHER said:
cool post pics and step by step so brothers like myself can do it. good luck!!!!!!!!
you got it, should be fun...maybe I'll re-heat my pizza while I'm at it. Dinner and a mod....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dew said:
the oven is the answer to everything! :D
I just can't figure out how to get it in there to dry after I wash it. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
Taz,
the way I did mine, followed the SL tip by notching the 2 tabs on the bottom part of the lights assembly. cut some credit card plastic, and insert it there after frying it up with screw driver. then work your way to the sides, putting the cutted cards to the tabs one at a time. theres a trick in putting the screw driver, kinda like insert and twist(sorry hard to explain).
just be careful and slowly, evenly pull the lense. if its not even, you might chip the edge.
i'm just too scared to put the lights on the oven.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sid said:
Taz,
the way I did mine, followed the SL tip by notching the 2 tabs on the bottom part of the lights assembly. cut some credit card plastic, and insert it there after frying it up with screw driver. then work your way to the sides, putting the cutted cards to the tabs one at a time. theres a trick in putting the screw driver, kinda like insert and twist(sorry hard to explain).
just be careful and slowly, evenly pull the lense. if its not even, you might chip the edge.
i'm just too scared to put the lights on the oven.
I'm reading this while my taillight is in the oven...hope it comes out OK. I am taking pics so I'll let you know...

*crosses fingers*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
I baked mine to get them apart too. It worked real good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
so what bulbs are you going with. i m goin to use your walk through thanks for the info. ill do this next weekend. i can t wait. i want to see them put on your ride pics please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PUNISHER said:
so what bulbs are you going with. i m goin to use your walk through thanks for the info. ill do this next weekend. i can t wait. i want to see them put on your ride pics please.
I'm going to finish the modding to the tails this weekend. I am looking for clear bulbs that flash red. I have the amber ones in the front but I'm having trouble finding red ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
What is the model and brand of the clear bulbs that flash amber?

I guess I should tackle the front and rear at the same time since the oven will be warm anyhow. Thanks TAZ!!!! Great DIY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Skeeter said:
What is the model and brand of the clear bulbs that flash amber?

I guess I should tackle the front and rear at the same time since the oven will be warm anyhow. Thanks TAZ!!!! Great DIY
I bought off brand bulbs from Pep Boys. I believe Scott at Luminics sells them. Not the off brands, he sells the good stuff.

These are the ones I got. I think it was about ten bucks for the pair.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top