Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so it's late...I can't sleep...guess I'll work on my box a bit. Decided to clear the headlights .. I used the baking method and man talk about easy!! And since I did have to take some of the box apart....might as well powder coat something else while I'm at it...:D Here are a couple of pics so far...will have it all put back together in about 45 minutes.

The paint on the inside of the fenders, core support, etc, are the worst I've ever seen. It's like they barely got hit with the paint. Is it just mine or are they all like that?

Considering it's almost 11:30pm, I had to stick with the stock amber bulbs for now. LOL!

·
Yakima Rack God
433 Posts
nice job. Your garage almost looks worse than mine:)

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only piece I coated tonight was the hood latch. I did it in the same reflective chrome I used under the hood. I know it isn't much but I figure if I'm going to start attending shows with this thing, every little bit helps.

The $5 is just to give you an idea of how reflective the powder is.

Back together...now I've just got to get rid of those amber bulbs!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Looks good! Nice work.

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aren't you glad you baked 'em instead of breakin' 'em??!! Now you know there's no scratches.
Oh yeah...most definitely!! I figured if I kept a close watch on them I could yank them out if they started looking funny...:D But if I tried the "Pray and Break" (stole that little term from Taz...LOL) method there would be no turning back if I screwed up.:eek:

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yummy. How easy is it to powder coat? I had no idea it could be done in a garage. I'm intrigued now.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Looks good, you should have done the latch black so that you couldn't see it thru the grille area. Looks good though.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
So this is what happens after I go to sleep.

Looks good.

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yummy. How easy is it to powder coat? I had no idea it could be done in a garage. I'm intrigued now.
I bought my kit from Eastwood and have added lots of stuff throughout the process. I have an electric oven and have built an extension for it....it basically doubles the capacity. A good compressor...blast cabinet...parts cleaner...good ventilation is necessary...and lots of misc parts. It can cost a bit to get started but I've more than paid for all my stuff. While having the huge commercial equipment is definitely nice...don't think good stuff can't be done at a home shop/garage. Just takes good prep and lots of practice...pretty much like anything else. Here are a couple of my favorite parts I've done.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nice job!

That hood latch would look sweet with a billet grille ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.