Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FunCargoist
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on this forum, just thought I should introduce myself! :)

Sadly we don't get the xB over here, but we did get the Toyota Yaris Verso, that is built on the same platform as the xB. And a few weeks ago I got myself one of these. As of now it's pretty much a beater, I bought this car "as is" from a dealership that just got it as a trade-in on a new car. $800 and it was mine :) Over here the government has a permanent "cash for clunkers" scheme, you get $500 for scrapping a car, so this was really at the end of its life before I got hold of it.

It's registered as a two-seater van, so plenty of cargo space! The figures claimed by Toyota equates to over 75 cubic feet of cargo space.

This is how it looked (after a good washing) from the dealership:

Oh, and a little introduction about myself, not just my car. My name is Haakon Ottesen, I live in Norway and I have my own graphic design/signmaker/car graphics business. This car will be my work (micro)van, so it needs to look the part as time goes on!

I've looked around the forum a bit, and I can't wait to get to know the members, you all have such sweet rides :)

·
FunCargoist
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :)

Still sorting out dodgy repairs done by previous owners, but since I had a set of 15" wheels left over after I changed to Rotiforms on my Golf, I painted them white and put them on the FunCargo :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
These things are so interesting. We get the xB in the States but at the cost of not having some of the other quirky cars available in the world, like this. I'm sure with a graphic design business this car will be looking sharp real soon. I'm new here too, and I can tell you I've already seen this club is very inviting.

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
Welcome to the site! Shame the FunCargo wasn't sold here in the States. Sorta looks like a station wagon version of the sedan sold here as the Echo. There are already at least a half dozen FunCargo owners on the forum, and who knows how many lurkers. Any plans for lowering springs or coilovers? Looking forward to see what graphics you have planned.

·
FunCargoist
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There will be mods! :D

First things first, it needs to be in decent shape technically (and optically) before any big mods. Over here, the cars have to be approved every 2 years, and this car is only approved until September this year. So by then everything that has to do with safety has to be in order. This includes:

Lighting and signalling equipment
Steering (including suspension)
Brakes
Tyres and wheels
Seat belts
Body, structure and general items[clarification needed]
Exhaust, fuel and emissions

Car also needs to remain stock, any mods needs to be approved beforehand (mainly this is related to suspension and it needs to be TUV approved, ie mainly just German Coilover kits have the right approval testing/papers).

But after that the fun begins! I've started fixing up the car, it is just full of half-ass "repairs" like this exhaust fix:

and this "duct tape painted in car colour to hide something bad" fix (spoiler alert; I removed the tape and found something)

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
Yikes! You folks use a lot of salt on the road in winter? Looks similar to the rust damage you see here in the rust belt states. Hope ya don't find any major structural decay. While dealing with the exhust, be sure to give the charcoal canister a good looking over. Seems to be a common problem on xb's plagued by rust.

·
FunCargoist
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes.. tons and tons of salt! At least in my part of the country, I live on an island on the west coast. This makes for very challenging conditions in winter, because the surrounding sea raises the temperature in the daytime, and it freezes in the nighttime, so the humidity and temperature changes causes black ice very quickly. And salt is the only solution to the problem here. In the inland it's better, when it's cold it stays cold. And a lot drier air.

The car is decent underneath, no real issues. It's the back door that is real bad only.

Here is what hid under the tape:

But after stripping the rust and paint, treating the exposed metal and filling the holes, it's a lot better. No premium fix, but it will last for as long as the car. Or thereabouts :)

·
FunCargoist
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the car outlasts the fix, I'll do it again :)

For some reason, the black vinyl between the windows in the bakc has been removed at a earlier time. So I just had to lay new vinyl there today:

Looking a bit better already :)

Wondering if it's okay to just make a proper thread of the car in the Members Rides section? After all, it's no xB.

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
I vote that you do start a build thread. In reality, it does have the heart of an xb. I'm gonna enjoy watching the progress on this one. Again, welcome to the site, Haakon. :D

·
FunCargoist
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 19 of 19 Posts