Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a set of 17x8 w/ 42 offset for a deal, was thinking like a 215/40/17 tire.
Does anyone run this size? Tried a search and saw none. I am 2" lowered and want no rubbing issues, I'll deal with flushness with shimms later if needed.

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
i had 17 x 7.5 +32 w/215/45's OTG 10mm spacers 2" drop. I had rubbing on the back with big dips on the freeway.
I made a mistake when i bought these, because I had to run the 10mm spacers or it would rub on the inside.

You shouldn't have any problems with your setup.

·
Registered
762 Posts
215/40-17 will be fine. the 42 offset is more of a problem, you may need 5mm spacers to keep the rear wheels from hitting the suspension. when i had 18" wheels with a 45 offset i needed spacers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You could say that the offset is too high for an 8" wide wheel. You can also say 8" is too wide for a 42 offset. What I mean is, the inner side of the wheels will be rubbing the car i.e. suspension parts, etc. Thus, you'll need either narrower wheels or a lower offset.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info.

maybe that's why they are so cheap. I'll pass on them then.

2nd question then, since I'm new to the wheels game

If I'm looking for 17 or 18, what is the best width and offset that won't rub at all. I want 18's but will go 17" for a no rub setup.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am running 17x7 with +33 offset with 215/40/17 tires. Also running a 10mm kics project spacer in the rear... I get rubbing in the rear with full load and hitting big bumps on the freeway.. but other then that I have no problems at all.. The rubbing is also very minor...

·
Registered
762 Posts
yeah thats rubbing the fender lip, thats what my 17x7 +25 lover souls do with OTG camber and 10mm hub spacers.

there is a bung weld or something on teh swingarm in teh rear that a lot of "honda offset" wheels come dangerously close to or actually rub against on the inside of the wheels.

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
yeah thats rubbing the fender lip, thats what my 17x7 +25 lover souls do with OTG camber and 10mm hub spacers.

there is a bung weld or something on teh swingarm in teh rear that a lot of "honda offset" wheels come dangerously close to or actually rub against on the inside of the wheels.
when i put on my NKB's i took a grinder to that circle thing thats on the swing arm. Its welded from both sides inside and out. i must have ground down about 4mm off that thing. i wasnt to comfortable about that thing so close to my rim (16s match right up to that thing on the rim). so i ground that bad boy down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts