Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This it the first time this has ever happend in the four year i have been doing my own audio install. But i just installed my aftermarket HU and amp, now when i press the brake the amp's "protection" light comes on. Anybody know what it could be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are a ton of possibilities. It is difficult to generalize without knowing more about the scenario or even better looking at it in person. In general, however, the most common reason for a protection circuit being tripped is a low impedance being present at the amp's output. In your case it could be something like a speaker wire being pinched when you press the brake pedal. The very first thing I would recommend is looking at the area around the brake pedal for a physical problem. If it's not this simple provide some more info (ie. type of equipment, what is the amp running, how you wired everything) and I will see what's up. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when i first set it up i didn't realize it because i have never done it like this before, but the amp's remote wire that i ran to the remote wire on the back of the HU was behind the brake, so when i pushed the brake it would pull it and make the protection come on. So i fixed it and now it does it when i brake even slightly. The other three times i've installed sftermarket stuff, i've never ran my remote wire to the HU, always to an ACC fuse in the inside fuse box.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not once in 14 years of installing professionally seen any amplifier that would report an issue with remote turn on voltage through a protection light so let us assume that the issue you found with your remote turn on wire was not the direct cause of the protection circuit becomming engauged. (although it is good that you corrected the problem to prevent future head aches.)

I would still like to know more about what equipment you have and how it is installed. The best advice I can give you at this point, however, is to go through a process of elimination at the amp. First disconnect the output (speaker wires) from the amp. Test. If the problem disappears you have just isolated the problem to a problem in the output (pinched speaker wire, etc.). If the problem still occurs disconnect your signal input (rca cables) at the amp. Test. If the problem disappears you have isolated the problem to the input. If the problem persists with only power connected to the amp it's time to take some voltage measurements. Use a volt meter to measure voltage across the amps power input and see what happens to that voltage when pressing the brake pedal. If voltage is dropping below 10.5 volts you have done something out of the ordinary with your power input wiring (ran power straight to the brake circuit, grounded incorrectly, etc.)

Hope this helps. Let me know what's up.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot about the list of what i have...
JVC HU, Volfenhag ZX8100, 2 10" Kicker CVRs

When i first did the install, i though my brake pedal felt tighter, then i said to myself that i'm crazy...then when i braked my amp would cut out, then come back on a few seconds after I let off. Then once i had to brake hard and the amp went completely off. So i checked it and was behind the pedal. The way i noticed that the protection was coming on it because at night the way the amp is facing the light shines on the top of the hatch and i can see it in my mirror.

I don't like how the wires hook to the amp anyway. You can't put any ends on them, i have to push them in and then tighten down the allen-head screws. So i will go and check that and make sure its secure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.