Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed an Alpine AVI-W200 today, and while the HU is amazing I hate the fitment. The face just sticks out to far for my tatste, so I tried redrilling new mount holes in the factory brackets for different placements. I got it pushed back to where I liked it, but then there was to much gap on the bottom.

For those who have this unit installed; did you do anyhing to alter the fit, and how did you do it?

I also have a problem with the Metra double DIN kit. The face gets stuck on the side gap fillers when closing. I tried to add some space between the two by adding washers on the bracket, repositioning the kit brackets, but nothing worked. It still gets stuck when closing.

Any ideas on how to solve these issues would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
katella/gilbert area.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HAHAHAH...you actually know me kinda of. I'm the guy that bought the shocks from Mike when you were doing your headliner at his house.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you can get a trim ring for the Kenwood DDX-6019 double DIN radio, you can cut it down to fill the gap on the sides and the bottom. I did that with my Pioneer double DIN radio. I had to drill new holes in my factory brackets so that the radios face wouldn't stick out of the dash too far.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^^^^ agreed, there are times when you need to make a trim ring from scratch. That's where professional help may come in. don't go cheap on me. That's the part that kills me with some cars from anyone. not just Scions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the Kenwood trim ring snaps onto the sides of the radio so ther is no issue with the face moving. the other alternitive is to mount the trim ring on the back of the dash panel and hope the radio lines up with the opening. I really liked the Kenwood trim ring and how it was designed, the Pioneer just had a flat rectangle piece with the opening for the radios face, not much there.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll try the trim ring idea for now, but I really want to fiberglass the dash bezel in to make it flush yet still look factory. I've laways wanted to learn how, so I guess this is a good time. Just been checkin out A LOT of forums that have good tips/topics to try to get an idea of how to do it. Also thought about using some black plexi as a frame. Cut it just a little bigger than the dash opening, place it around the head unit inbetween the back of the dash and the HU to cover all the gaps/space. Might be a quick fix till I can get a hang of the glass thing.

How did you use the trim ring with the install kit side fillers? Did you just trim down the sides of the trim piece to fit the side fillers over it? I tried to install the alpine frame to help with the top/bottom gaps, but then the side fillers wouldn't fit over the frame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
XBCreep said:
I'll try the trim ring idea for now, but I really want to fiberglass the dash bezel in to make it flush yet still look factory. I've laways wanted to learn how, so I guess this is a good time. Just been checkin out A LOT of forums that have good tips/topics to try to get an idea of how to do it. Also thought about using some black plexi as a frame. Cut it just a little bigger than the dash opening, place it around the head unit inbetween the back of the dash and the HU to cover all the gaps/space. Might be a quick fix till I can get a hang of the glass thing.

How did you use the trim ring with the install kit side fillers? Did you just trim down the sides of the trim piece to fit the side fillers over it? I tried to install the alpine frame to help with the top/bottom gaps, but then the side fillers wouldn't fit over the frame.
I didn't use the Metra kit. (shhhh, don't tell the people I work with). the Kenwood trim ring was so wide that I had to trim it down to fit between the air vents, that's how wide it was.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really!!!??? That is definately something I'm gonna have to look into.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the Kenwood trim ring will save you alot of time instead of trying to glass around the face and make it pretty.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna have to track down a kenwood trim ring. I'll let you know how it goes.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.