Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok the name is Lou, ive been surfing here for over 6 months trying to get info without brothering anyone with repeditive questions. i just got a 2005 xb last week and i have to say ITS MOD TIME!!!!!!!!! my first question is wheel size now i have read alot of post about it but nothing answering my question. so here goes i want 18"x8 wheels what offset do i need to go with if i intend to bag my box 2 things im trying to avoid 1. rubbing 2. inner tire ware. i want to be able to cruzzzzz the beach with my box dumped

·
Project Cop Box
540 Posts
welcome, congrats on the box...and i'm sure your question will be handled in the order in which it was recieved. ;)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
i got wheels for sale if your into them

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got wheels for sale if your into them
nah thanks though, but the reason im asking i have a set of rims im looking at i just need the offset to know if there going to work before i buy them. if i have to roll my fender front and rear thats kool i just want to be able to roll while im dumped of course i wont be able to turn but thats when i send the fornt up and handle my turn:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
OK I can not speak for 18x8 wheels. I have 18x7.5 wheels with a 42MM offset. I run 215/40R18 tires. This set up rubs at full lock left or right (only with the steering wheel buried against the stops). I had to flare the fenders out some and roll the forward part of the lips, and eliminate the fender bumper plastic clip in order for these wheels to allow full down action of the front air struts. I would not recommend using a wheel wider than 7.5 in the front. In the rear my setup contacts the wheel lip behind the rear door at full down position using a 5MM spacer on the wheels to get little more clearance at the rear axle (the axle clearance with these tires on a 7.5 42MM offset wheel is less than 1/8"). Another 1/4 inch of wheel width (spacer is 5MM ~1/4 inch) might be annoying to bury in this little space, rolling of wheel lips would be needed imo. My air suspension is Airlift front and rear with an Air Ride Technologies control system.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Welcome Lou, looks like your on the right path to moddin.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I can not speak for 18x8 wheels. I have 18x7.5 wheels with a 42MM offset. I run 215/40R18 tires. This set up rubs at full lock left or right (only with the steering wheel buried against the stops). I had to flare the fenders out some and roll the forward part of the lips, and eliminate the fender bumper plastic clip in order for these wheels to allow full down action of the front air struts. I would not recommend using a wheel wider than 7.5 in the front. In the rear my setup contacts the wheel lip behind the rear door at full down position using a 5MM spacer on the wheels to get little more clearance at the rear axle (the axle clearance with these tires on a 7.5 42MM offset wheel is less than 1/8"). Another 1/4 inch of wheel width (spacer is 5MM ~1/4 inch) might be annoying to bury in this little space, rolling of wheel lips would be needed imo. My air suspension is Airlift front and rear with an Air Ride Technologies control system.
thanks for that info, so what if i stayed with the 18x8 with the airride but no tuck is that doable?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

·
pastormatt
349 Posts
Welcome to the site, glad to have you here. Get us some pics when you put on the rims. I'm sure you'll find all kind of goodies here on the site!

·
Registered
325 Posts
thanks for that info, so what if i stayed with the 18x8 with the airride but no tuck is that doable?
From driving mine I think you will have to ride fairly high (maybe attain just a shade lower than 2" drop for running ) and never drop it down very far in order maintain clearance....why do air in this case? Maybe just do dropped springs? How about it BAGGED GUYS!!! ??? Anyone fit 18X8's with air ride?? How low can you go??...and what did it take to get there?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
And you thought this introduction could get away from me!! 12 posts and no pic police!! Oh man, I'm slacking!! Let's see some pics of that bad boy!!

BTW, probably the most enjoyable car I've ever owned, I hope you enjoy yours as well!

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
yeah where's them damn pics? 12 posts?? uh oh. boom's trident is freshly sharpened. lol. j/k . welcome to your new addiction. you'll like it here. and for godsakes post some pics. :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I'm running 18X8's with a 32 offset. I can't move at full drop. You will have to modify the front fenders if you want to put the ride all the way down. The rears are fine for the most part. You may want to add a little camber (that's what I'm going to do) just to make sure you clear.

I drive just above the rubber if I know I'm not going to hit any railroad tracks for on the freeway. Most of the time I'm riding lower than a 2" drop but it's bumpy.

Here's a shot at full drop with the 18X8's

With the 18X7.5's

Be glad to answer any other questions you may have and welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THIS FORUM IS AWSOME!!! as far as front fender work can you give me some detail of what it will consist of?

·
Registered
325 Posts
THIS FORUM IS AWSOME!!! as far as front fender work can you give me some detail of what it will consist of?
Here is a copy of the text of a previous post I made concerning fender mods to get the front down over my 18x7.5 42MM offset wheels and 215/40R18 tires:

My box isn't really slammed:) The Extreme Dimensions F-1 kit I have is about
1+ inches taller than the stock lips, all of that extra height is below the lips,
so with it you start out that much closer to the ground. The air suspension is
the Easy Street struts and bags from Airlift, I made no modifications to their
kit or cut any body (well one small exception). My tires are also oversized which
means I could go a little lower if they weren't...they are about 3/4 of an inch
taller (215/40/18) than the stock size. The rear drops till the wheelhouse comes down to rest on the tire.
The front comes down until it starts spreading the fenders and bending stuff
(not low enough) until you make these simple mods: The problem is the fender
to bumper plastic mount. Remove it. Roll the tab on the fender that the bolt to
this plastic mount went thru back up into the wheel opening till it is almost flat.
Cut off the tab on the bumper where its bolt went into the plastic mount
(just grind it off flush with the rest of the bumpers flange). Cut off the tab on
the fender that the square retainer of the plastic mount went into...cut only the
tab part leaving an even flange along the area. Get a screw plate
(like the little unut screw clips that come with speakers but stronger) ...
...a short one...that you can put on the flange where you cut off the tab.
Locate the screw plate and drill a hole for your new screw. Install the bumper into
place and mark thru your new hole onto the lip on the bumper with the bumper exactly
aligned. Drill a hole in the bumper...during installation you will pull the plastic
shield back and reach up from under the bumper to attach the bumper to the fender via
your new clip with a screw . Mine is actually stronger than the plastic mount
thing ever was.

This may be all you need to do to clear all the way to the down limit of the front
struts depending on tire size and offset (my wheels are 18x7.5" with a 42 MM offset).
We needed to gain a little more space right at the fender bumper area so we put 2
shims under the forward fender mounting bolts on each side of the car. This is the
bolt that mounts the fender to the side of the core support that is located directly
under the outer headlamp assembly retaining bolt. Adding shims here flares the wheel
opening outward and the fender bumper joint. (you can not add very many shims here or
the look of the body gets too weird .....but a few is not bad).

The final thing we did is to cut away a small area of the plastic fender liner right
at the same area as the plastic fender bumper mount was. You will see where the tire
will hit this cut away the protruding boxy part of it and viola not more hitting.

Rear wheel down:

Front wheel down:

·
Registered
672 Posts
DAMN that's hot ted, post a few further away pics if u dont mind :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts