Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a scion really soon,(if anyones looking to sell theirs PM me) and i was wondering how difficult it would be to put all wheel steering in it. i was at school today, and one of the seniors drives by in his truck, and its jacked up a bit. he drives to the end of the parking lot and does a U turn and comes back at us, but all of his wheels turned it was sweet. so as he was coming back at us, he shifts the back end off to the left and the chassis of the truck is like \ and hes still going straight it was really cool!

·
Registered
672 Posts
OMG!!111! SENIORS ARE SOOOO KEWLLLL!!!!

Heres the thing, mr senior man is driving his big (small penis) jacked up truck that daddy payed for.

If you have ALOT of money (i would guess well over $10,000, but it could be alot more) i'm sure you can do it too! But don't quote me on that, might be more, might not even be possible, possibly an entire new chassis (underbody) would be needed.

I think it's an interesting idea that would win you alot of shows for sure, just not sure if it's very doable or worth it. Plus, his truck is most likely 4-wheel drive, hence his being able to drive at an angle for a few seconds, while the xb, being only front wheel drive would not be able to pull that off. Basically, if you want it just so you can drive at an angle for a few seconds or more, you'd need to do a four-wheel drive conversion first THEN an all wheel steering conversion. You're looking at buying a new motor, new drive shaft, and ALOT of other stuff...if you're rich, go for it....if not, just get a scion and enjoy it like the rest of us :)

Read the URL below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering#Cars_with_four_wheel_steering

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you really think i'd have to modify the frame? that would suck... 10g's is a little high too :( i figured maybe like 2000 but i really had no idea. anyone else have an opinion on this!? i could imagine going down the highway sideways or pulling up doing donuts with AWS

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just depends what would or would not fit under the scion body, you'd have to get a new engine for sure for 4 wheel drive first of all...you're looking at up to 5-6g JUST for the four wheel conversion from what I can tell from offroad forums online (somebody correct me if i'm wrong)....plus a lot more for AWS.

Edit: aws Isn't made so you can drive sideways, it's made for a better turning radius and varies depending on the speed of the vehicle. What works in a parking lot might not work while doing 75 on the fwy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
first off, its a fun idea, but won't really work. the wheel well isn't that big to allow for much room for the wheels to turn. Also the rear suspension is not designed in a way that would even allow for it to work. You would need custom knuckle assembly, custom steering rack, electronics to control the rack, hydro lines... the wheel base on the xb is so short already that you don't need 4ws, although the old honda preludes did have them, but wasn't really that popular

you would not have to get a new engine or convert to awd since turning has nothing to do with the motor besides the engine powering the power steering pump.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ah, my bad on the all wheel drive then, hehe, but yeah...interesting idea for sure, but it'd cost WAYYY too much to do, plenty of cutting and modding and custom this and custom that, i'm sure its possible, anything is with enough money...but unless bill gates is a direct relative, i wouldn't plan on it ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well im gonna call my uncle bill, and see what he can do, when i had my civic modded, he got all the parts flown in overnight from japan and had the work done in 2 days, hopefully he'll help me out again ;):p

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Some Newer Chevy trucks have it, and it will only engage if under either 15 or 45mph, I forget. Just forget the whole idea. The xB has a turning radius of what 20feet, a full size truck has a what 50+ turning radius? Not really needed on an xB, but hey, if my parents could buy me the moon why not ask for it!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Overnighting parts from wherever will not help you in any way, so talking to your uncle Bill will be in vain unless he is some god of fabrication the likes of what the world has never seen before. Doing it because it looks cool on some truck may be the WORST reason for everything. Sorry to kill your dreams, but this thread reminds of the wanna be like 600 hp xB. Its not practical. If you have that much money to blow on a car, I could set ya up right.

As for 4wheel steering, it was in Preludes, GM trucks, Mercedes Benz firetrucks, and even Mitsu 3000gts. Mitsus are the most different from the bunch in that they work at high speeds, not low. Its a crazy feeling to be cruising on the interstates and barely touch it and watch it fly off to the side.

So yea, anyway, sorry, but dumb idea. No offense meant, but I would wait to mod the car if I were you. I matured in taste very different between 16 and 20. I went from wanting a blue and yellow Saturn, to having a white/silver Scion. Save the money and wait if you have that much. (or consult people on the forum and ask what they think will look okay). Thats my .02

Scotty

·
Registered
325 Posts
Comon Scotty a 600 BHP xB pro street would be way cool:) It would be hella easier than doing 4WS tho:)

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Hey just go get one of the Honda Preludes from the 90's that had 4ws and weld it in...........

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hey just go get one of the Honda Preludes from the 90's that had 4ws and weld it in...........
See, like i said, swap the frame out, or swap the xb body in :) There ya go!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
this thread is forum spam isn't it? just something to get people arguing. Better chance of creating an AWD xB than a 4WS one.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
this thread is forum spam isn't it? just something to get people arguing. Better chance of creating an AWD xB than a 4WS one.
Yeah, we always get a off the wall post that gets things stirred up once every couple months.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A buddy of mine had a (late 80s?) 4ws prelude. Another friend had a 94 Mitsubishi 3000GT with all wheel steering. It's not strictly a truck thing (although some newer Chevys have it).

When switching lanes on a highway, it kept your car pointed forward because the wheels turned the same way. When making tighter turns, the front and rear wheels would turn opposite to shorten the turning radius.

It would be a cool 1-off project but I would certainly dig up and study some of the engineering involved.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Skyline's have it and Z32's had it. Altho everyone omitted it from the Z32 with the Stillen HICAS eliminator. Made the car too jittery and I know what that's like, really scary.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah buy a skyline instead. Those are so much cooler that some seniors chevy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.