Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the BUrbank area install a viper in an xb before? If so and you want to hang out tomorrow let me know. Ill be starting my install tomorrow morning but it is always nice to have people around that hvae done it before.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed a Viper 791xv. Remote start, Turbo timer (no turbo though), shock sensor, the normal alarm stuff. Install took about 3 hours total. Might be faster now that I have done one. Im still looking for a few more goodies and I still have to override the clutch switch for the remote start but I wont be doing that till I have a neutral safety switch installed.

If you have more questions just let me know.

Shawn

·
Registered
367 Posts
Installed a Viper 791xv. Remote start, Turbo timer (no turbo though), shock sensor, the normal alarm stuff. Install took about 3 hours total. Might be faster now that I have done one. Im still looking for a few more goodies and I still have to override the clutch switch for the remote start but I wont be doing that till I have a neutral safety switch installed.

If you have more questions just let me know.

Shawn

Na Zdrowie Shawn!

How complete is the install manual? I will be installing a paging alarm and wonder if I need wiring diagrams and the like.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Na Zdrowie = Cheers yeah? The alarm is a 2 way so it does page as well. The manual is very thorough but I also used the alarm install info over on Scionlife. Written well with pictures, so you might want to check that out too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As you probably already know, the 791xv is not "compatable" with a manual trans, blah, blah, blah.... As a professional installer of this and many other remote starters, I would strongly urge you to not just bypass the clutch switch.... I have seen a lot of damage caused by vehicles being remote started and driving into multiple objects... I don't care how "good" you are at not parking with it in gear, accidents can happen . I had a couple close calls with my old car, and I've had 2 friends end up with extensive damage to thier cars/ friends cars parked close by, houses ,garages, pools, etc. due to it being left in gear on accident. Apparently, Faias Designs LLC. , manufacturer of NEX-GEN makes a module to integrate any remote start with a manual trans. safely. Its an actual Neutral Safety Switch designed specifically for this. www.Faias.com:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, Yeah, you can put a switch on the small guage Black/ White wire, and use that as a "safety switch" or whatever DEI describes that dumb thing as.... I only recommend the correct part because it guarantees that the car cannot be remote started unless a specific sequence of events happens and only then will the vehicle remote start. I'm all about saving money and all, but this is something I wouldnt skimp on personally... Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldnt agree with you more. I have little ones at home that once in a blue moon grab my keys. I dont need any issues. The remote start is hooked up but wont work because of the clutch switch. Not until I have a deadon safe way of remote starting with a neutral switch will I disable that switch.

BTW your link is broken

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you followed the wiring instructions on SL, double check that the door trigger is activated by the driver's door. In my car, I actually had 2 separate trigger wires, one for the driver, and one for everyone else. I just combined them into one with a pair of diodes and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couped thanks for the heads up. I tested the drivers door and it does trigger just fine. Ill be honest though, I didnt test the other doors. Ill be doing that in a few hours. I just thought of that too, I cant believe I didnt test it all. Guess thats what I get for having to many things going on at once. Ill give an update a bit later.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I decided to go take a look at the alarm again this last weekend. I pulled everything back out and changed the way I hid the wiring and whatnot. Im not happy till I have it all done the way I think it should be. Again I followed the alarm install post on SL for my install. What I did notice after that was, when you went into remote start the radio would come on but not the tach and fuel. So after a bit more research I found that if you switch the acc. wire from the alarm (orange) to the 2nd ing. wire in the column instead of the (blue/red) acc. wire in the column, everything worked as I wanted it to. I will say that the instructions that came with the alarm were a bit vague when it came to the installation. I understand that they want there product installed my a licensed installer,but nevertheless it was vague. I am now 99% finished. I will be picking up a few reed switches this weekend and trying to finish up my neutral safety switch install. But for now the system works just as it should.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Shawn,

With the Viper 791xv becareful with the remote. Its a very sensitive piece. I have the 791xv installed on my solara with all accessories such as Window switches, Auto Roll up/down, Remote start and remote turn off along with additional horns. Too bad the Alarm doesn't do jack now that my most recent remote just went OUT AGAIN for the 4th time.

In the last 4 years I've had this alarm on my solara I have gone thru now 4 remotes. All of them just go out for no reason. My remotes weren't damages or anything like that. All of them were in good condition. Sent it back to VIPER or DEI they said the remote was dead. The remote itseld shorted. VIPER does carry a warranty on the remote but only good for 12 months. All of mine dies always just after the warranty. except my first one which dies just 4 months after having the alarm installed.

The alarm works great.. but the remote design sucks a donkey dried balls. Remote cost anywhere from 65 to 90 to replace. As of now I am refusing to buy another remote. Since I don't drive my solara much anymore and its just sitting in the garage I won't have to worry too much...

But becareful with the remote.
My GF also has the same alarm and shes on the 3rd one.. other 2 did the same thing and just shorted for no reason at all.. all my remote still looked perfect.. but they just don't respond...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My buddy here in my office had the same problem you speak of. We compared remotes, I believe they may have changed the design slightly. Ill have to keep an eye out for any problems though.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My buddy here in my office had the same problem you speak of. We compared remotes, I believe they may have changed the design slightly. Ill have to keep an eye out for any problems though.

Thanks
From what I know they have gone thru 3 generation of remotes. This is what I was told by DEI... I've all 3 and all gave me problems...

The lastest remote has a feature so you can turn your remote to vibration/silent mod if you don't like the annoying beeping noise it makes when your arm and disarm your car.

But in any case.. just so you know in advance.. these remotes are very fragile..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.