Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really looking into buying and air ride setup. most likely the $2000 kit with the digital controller.....
but one thing that im not sure of is the maintenance required on air ride. I've looked for threads on this topic and havnt really found anything. I live in ks, we get the extremes of everything (which sucks). I've heard of local guys blowing lines b/c of frozen water in the lines.....but i've talked to some pro ppl who make air ride kits, and they say that the freezing shouldnt bother a kit. idk I'm confused and was hoping you guys could tell me what kind of maintenance is SUPPOSED to be done regularly.....

I'm want the ability to drop it on the ground for shows, but still have a good hight for daily use.....(I know thats askin alot, but heck why not)
I keep my car clean and take as much care of it as I can......I just dont want to get in over my head......
any help/info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I live in FL so i cant comment on frozen lines. As far as maintaining the system i just empty the water trap as often as i can remember lol I think im going to find a way to run it to an extra valve

·
EC HFD TOO!!!
2,786 Posts
I have the easy street digital kit.. running 1/2 " line instead of 3/8. I 've had NO problems at ALL!! it is my daily driver and just recently took it to tenn (6 hr trip one way) for boxed in the smokies. Alot of people have air, tho I've not heard of any needed "maint" on them.
Tho I could be wrong. lol

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
I've got the feeling this is going to be an interesting thread, so I'm going to make it a sticky.

Now, we need more folks with air ride to post up as fa as maintenance is concerned (bags, fittings, lines, etc).

·
Registered
737 Posts
many people wil tell you different things. i have my set of rules just to be on the safe side. i know maybe some wont agree with me. but F them they are my rules and i follow what i like.

information is only information unless you actually do anything with it.

with that being said.

i recommend if you have a steel tank or a aluminum one i dont care drain one a week.

done.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heck I totally understand and agree with being on the safe side. especially if you value keeping anything in good condition.
from what I understand, as long as you buy an air ride kit, and are extremely careful with installation, maintenance should be down to bleeding the drain once or twice a week. (depends on use I suppose)
So if u dont use the air ride at all, (cept for like normal suspension, no changing the hight but still driving on it) would any psi be lost? (logically no, but idk if any psi is lost to allow cushion for bumps or such)

·
Registered
673 Posts
make sure you keep at least an couple adjustable wrenches, few extra connectors, teflon tape and a few feet of hose if you can in your car at least for extended trips...

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Even if you do not use the air ride you will lose and gain PSI due to temperature changes. It may not be a lot but it will happen. If you start the day at 30 degrees and then it warms to 65 the air is going to change pressure. If you get the digital controller though it takes care of these changes for you.

·
†-LoSt-†
2,146 Posts
Altitude also affects compressed it and causes fluctuation. That's part of the reason alot of people run nitrogen in their tires. Its such a dry inert gas, that there's no fluctuation in pressure. It also doesn't promote dryrot on the insides of tires, hence there not being any water.

But, back on topic, i drain the tank once to twice a week, check all mounting points and bags weekly for any inconsistencies, I.E. creases, damage. I figure just because air ride cost alot, doesn't necessarily make it any better than other aftermarket mods. If your life, or your cars livelihood rides on it, keep it in check.

.02 from LoSt

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
I've had several minitrucks and the only problems I had with cold weather were when temperatures would drop below freezing my valves would stick (Parker Valves) and I would have to pour warm water on the solenoid itself to free it up.

Never any problems with water in the lines, the tank has a drain plug at the bottom so technically water shouldn't form in your lines, you'll get some moisture in them but nothing to be alarmed about.

I currently have a 5 gallon tank in my box with a Viair 450 for my horns and it is pretty much air tight, it takes about 3 to 4 days to drop from 150 psi to when my pressure switch turns the compressor back on. (think it's 125 or 135 psi) due to pressure changes from temp.

If you get airride, spend the time to plumb the tank right and get everything right the first time because if you don't, you will regret it one day.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
EC HFD TOO!!!
2,786 Posts
mine drops BAD right now..whenit's parked. but can't figure why.. checked ALL the connections... could be selinoid or from the diaphram of the air horns... buggin the snot outta me tho!! lol

I'm puttin baloons over the bells of my horns next to see if that's where it is.

Until I installed the air horn.. that I love & won't give up.. I had NO loss in pressure. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you running the air horn from the same tank your running your air ride from??

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
5 years and about 40K miles. a near fire after a connector came loose on my relay to run the compressors, a trip to United and back and various other shows around my area. It's been fine

·
Registered
402 Posts
Running 2 Viair compressors, each compressor has it's own water trap. I don't drive mine much anymore but when it was a daily, I'd drain the traps like every 2 weeks. Only problem I encountered was one of my PTC fittings, the plastic portion of the fitting becoming loose at the tank and needed to be replaced. I'm about 2 1/2 years on my air set up.

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
Deb, it could be the valve for your horns, the solenoid might not be closing all the way and allowing a smidgen of air to escape thru it and out of your horns.

It could also be the check valve from your compressor going bad and allowing the pressurized air from your tank to travel back thru the compressor and out of the filter.

That's the only 2 things I can think of.

·
EC HFD TOO!!!
2,786 Posts
are you running the air horn from the same tank your running your air ride from??
Yes cuz I have a 5 gal tank already..

Deb, it could be the valve for your horns, the solenoid might not be closing all the way and allowing a smidgen of air to escape thru it and out of your horns.

It could also be the check valve from your compressor going bad and allowing the pressurized air from your tank to travel back thru the compressor and out of the filter.

That's the only 2 things I can think of.

ive watered everything looking for leaks and found nothing.. new leader line a few months ago.. but hey stranger things have happened! lol
It's not a safety issue... (yet) lol just a real annoyance to have to wait for air pressure. lol ehhh I'll figure it out eventually.. but I really appreciate all the hints!

*** i just tied into my current air lines.. for the horn. ***

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I recommend the accuair manifold, eliminates half of the plumbing connections found in standard valves. Keep you're traps drained, Inspect your lines regularly, and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts