Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving down the highway wednesday night and all of a sudden my 'Check Enginge' light comes on. My first thought is "oh sh!t, whats wrong with my car?"...i had just had my 15k mile service done 2 weeks earlier. Then all of a sudden my 'VSC' warning light pops on. At this point im like "WTF?!?" As if that wasnt bad enough, about 10 seconds later my 'TRAC OFF' light pops on without me hitting the button, and i cant turn it back on. At the same time, my 'O/D OFF' light pops on and so does the engine overheat warning. Ok, so now my gf is scared to death we will die and i dont blame her, i thought we were gonna blow up or something (since we just literally had a car blow up @ work a few weeks earlier after an oil change).

So i get the car home and decide to park it for the night. The next day when i went in to work, i pulled right in to the service lane to have our techs and advisors look at it. After about a 5 hour inspection and vehicle diagnostic, they find that nothing was wrong with the car. The only explanation they can give is that some road debris (wood chips from what they found) may have jammed a sensor and caused it to think that the car was gonna have a catastrophic failure. So they reset the computer and the car has worked fine since...no lights have popped back on and theres no difference in the driving, which im glad of. Had a bit of a scare with the box.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
good to hear everything was okay...
one great advantage of working at the dealership...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the car was an mr2 spyder and no oil was put back in the car and i think there was a problem somewhere else, but long story short.. the tech took it out for a test drive when the engine caught fire and then while he was running the fuel tank ignited and kaboom the car blew up. So the car blew up, literally.

When the fire dpt came to put out the fire, they axed open the front of the car only to realize the engine was in the back....the car was torched, a total loss.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the driver was fine, he actually took a vid of it blowing up with his phone while he was running.

oh yeah , and the lights came on again last night . it has happened twice now and each time while accelerating (one accelerating from a stop light and one accelerating from a highway on ramp).

They checked everything and determined that they need to replace some sort of drum ....im not totally sure. Whatever they are talking about its a $200 speacial order part. Im looking in our computer system now and heres what is called: "GEAR ASSY, CAMSHAFT".
luckily we are about 1/2 a mile from an east coast distributor so i can get it fixed tomorrow. Its covered under warranty, yay :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went to the store a few weeks back, when I came out it did a half a crank and was acting like the battery was dead. I got a jump it started a whole butt load of warning lights stayed on at it was surging and running all f'd up. when I got home I disconnected the battery to reset every thing. now it runs great again no problems since. so now I keep a 10mm wrench in the glove box just incase it happens again.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
RAIDERBEAST said:
I went to the store a few weeks back, when I came out it did a half a crank and was acting like the battery was dead. I got a jump it started a whole butt load of warning lights stayed on at it was surging and running all f'd up. when I got home I disconnected the battery to reset every thing. now it runs great again no problems since. so now I keep a 10mm wrench in the glove box just incase it happens again.

I keep a little set of sockets in my ride for just such an incident ;) Always great to be prepared :D

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
I keep a little set of sockets in my ride for just such an incident ;) Always great to be prepared :D
I keep a tripple A card in my wallet, I aint got room for tools...lol ;) :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
...I remember pulling fuse 12 (EFI) resets the ECU... :D

(Under the hood.)

Engine off, key NOT in ignition, pull EFI fuse and leave
out for 30 seconds, put back in, restart.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
boxd_up_2 said:
I keep a tripple A card in my wallet, I aint got room for tools...lol ;) :D
Right there with ya buddy, AAA has saved my butt on several occasions. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.