Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car last month and ac been working fine. Past couple days I didn't drive the car. And when I drove it today, the ac is blowing out nothing but hot air. Actually, it blows cool air for like a second then straight to hot. What can it be?

·
Rescued RS 2.0
820 Posts
Reactions: dubeexb06

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to my ac problem. He recharged my ac but it only blows cool air not cold air. He vacuumed out all the old stuff and used 3 cans to make sure it's all clean. Not 3 cans in there but like out 1 in and sucked it out. What else can be the problem as to why it's not blowing cold air? He said if he can't figure it out, he's gonna bring it out to a professional. But if they can't figure it out, I'm out for diagnosis fee.

·
Rescued RS 2.0
820 Posts
Check AC fuse in the engine compartment. Otherwise, I'd guess the AC Amplifier.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Check the blend door - it's a somewhat common weak point. The guides for the cable are plastic and can break (and the cable can slip or break, as well), leaving the door stuck in one position, and you unable to change airflow between the heater and AC.

---------- Post added 08-06-2015 at 10:52 PM ----------

That requires digging into the dash, but that part looks worse than it really is.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
When you rotate the temperature control between hot and cold, it moves a door within the ductwork behind the dash to shift the direction of the air it brings into the car. In the full hot position, it brings it over the heater core; in the full cold position, over the AC evaporator. In the middle, I think it closes both off, and either brings in fresh air from outside or recirculated air, depending on where you have that slider positioned.

Checking it requires some dash disassembly. The FSM calls it the "air mix damper control."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you rotate the temperature control between hot and cold, it moves a door within the ductwork behind the dash to shift the direction of the air it brings into the car. In the full hot position, it brings it over the heater core; in the full cold position, over the AC evaporator. In the middle, I think it closes both off, and either brings in fresh air from outside or recirculated air, depending on where you have that slider positioned.

Checking it requires some dash disassembly. The FSM calls it the "air mix damper control."
It's not this. When I turn it to hot, it's hot. When turned to cold it's cool. So what's the ac amplifier for? Maybe it's that?

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
AC Amplifier is one of the possible causes the FSM lists for no cool air.

In order, they are:

Volume of Refrigerant
Drive belt tension
Refrigerant pressure
Compressor
Pressure switch #1
Condenser fan
AC amplifier assembly
Heater control & accessory assembly
Wire harness or connector

·
Rescued RS 2.0
820 Posts
I had the symptoms you described. I replaced both the fuse and Amplifier and now I have ice cold AC.

I replaced both myself.

Fuse is obviously easy, about 3 minutes to check and replace.

To change the amplifier all you have to do is pull your radio to access. I ended up with an extra amplifier, so if you need one I can provide and work with you on the R&R over the phone.

·
Rescued RS 2.0
820 Posts
Remove and Replace. I can send you the extra AC Amplifier I ended up with for $30 shipped. I tested it in my own xB, so I know it's good.

I assume the AC Tech you had check Freon also checked the Drive Belt tension as Steve indicated on his list. If he/she didn't, check that first since that is a not cost check.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 04:08 PM ----------

If after checking/doing all the low cost or no cost items on Steve's list and still not getting cold, all that is left is a high cost AC Compressor rebuild in your future.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 04:10 PM ----------

I also have an extra pressure switch left over from my Diagnostic process I can put in the same box if you want to also swap that out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remove and Replace. I can send you the extra AC Amplifier I ended up with for $30 shipped. I tested it in my own xB, so I know it's good.

I assume the AC Tech you had check Freon also checked the Drive Belt tension as Steve indicated on his list. If he/she didn't, check that first since that is a not cost check.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 04:08 PM ----------

If after checking/doing all the low cost or no cost items on Steve's list and still not getting cold, all that is left is a high cost AC Compressor rebuild in your future.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 04:10 PM ----------

I also have an extra pressure switch left over from my Diagnostic process I can put in the same box if you want to also swap that out.
Can I go ahead and buy the amplifier and pressure switch from you? Really appreciate it.

·
Rescued RS 2.0
820 Posts
Sure. I'll PM you the info.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts