Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to replace the lights that light up the center piece where the ac and heater knobs are. stock is amber. i took it apart and found the yellow lights. i tried pulling on them very gently but could not take them off. do they come off or can i just place a diff color cap on top of them? i didnt want to pull any harder fearing they might break or not light up at all. any ideas.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think there are caps that you can buy a Kragen. There's a post on SL in the tech section explaining the install.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
There are a bunch of different ways to do this mod. You can use the bulb condoms or color them with a Sharpie or make your own LED bulbs (my route) or do the easiest and get the bulbs eE has listed above. That would be my suggestion. Good luck with whichever way you choose.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
just 2 leds for the ac/heater knobs. The light condoms suck, as does sharpie. The color on the condoms look pretty bad, and the sharpie just wears off. I say if you're gonna do it to do it right. Here's a link that shows how to replace them. http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11283. It's long, but towards the end of the thread peeps start talking about how to replace them with new leds instead of using condoms/sharpies. There's a good DIY here, but I think the "Articles" section is still down. To get them out you have to unscrew them form behind the bezel. You'll see that they're in led holders when you look at the back. Take a flat head screwdriver and unlock the holder. From there you just bend the leads in the lights straight and pull out of the holder. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
^^^^that's the one I was looking for! :D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I just used LED sockets to hold my 5mm LED's in place of the stock light bulbs, and soldered a resistor to each LEd positive leg and then the negitive lieg to ground and other end ot the resistor to where the bulb got voltage. 9v is used to light up the bulb not 12, your reisistor should be in the 270 to 300 ogm range or so. Your millage may vary!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like Pink ones!

Love it! I have pink cathodes to put in the HVAC area b/c they don't make pink neo-wedge bulbs. Pink and blue in the speedo, pink under the dash and back seats, pink in the clock, pink in the cup holders. PINK, PINK , PINK!!! Ok... I've bought it all.... just got to find the time to put it all in!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Love it! I have pink cathodes to put in the HVAC area b/c they don't make pink neo-wedge bulbs. Pink and blue in the speedo, pink under the dash and back seats, pink in the clock, pink in the cup holders. PINK, PINK , PINK!!! Ok... I've bought it all.... just got to find the time to put it all in!

Got "Pink" LED locks ?????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got "Pink" LED locks ?????
Actually a guy in the Scikotics chapter here makes them but I haven't gotten him to make the pinks yet. I finally got everything else in though. I ended up changing the clock, indicators, and fuel light, and amp fan lights to blue while keeping the HVAC, speedo, underdash, cupholders and all pink. You sporting any pink lights???

·
Registered
733 Posts
Actually a guy in the Scikotics chapter here makes them but I haven't gotten him to make the pinks yet. I finally got everything else in though. I ended up changing the clock, indicators, and fuel light, and amp fan lights to blue while keeping the HVAC, speedo, underdash, cupholders and all pink. You sporting any pink lights???
Sportin Blue (installing now) along with some other lights.
Trying to finish for Scion Exposed this Saturday
...:cool:
I won them on eBay but was sent pink ones by mistake. Dude sent the blue one's without asking for return of the pink ones.
I just contacted him about returning them. Either way they will go on the block......:eek: .

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I ended up changing the clock, indicators, and fuel light, and amp fan lights to blue while keeping the HVAC, speedo, underdash, cupholders and all pink.
Sounds awesome, pics please :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts