Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 XB that was owned by a serious smoker. Can someone give me any guidance on removing the ducting so I can wash it?

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,015 Posts
Removing ductwork necessitates first removing the dash. Simple enough to do, however, maybe not needed. Much of the duct odor emanates from where it is trapped in the cabin filter. Consider first replacing the cabin filter to remove the source. You can place a household clothes dryer sheet on top of the cabin filter to neutralize the residual odor in the ducts. There are several brands of inexpensive automotive duct cleaner available. I do not know the effectiveness of any of them. Good luck with however you choose to proceed.

Automotive Duct.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I replaced the cabin filter but the box still smells bad when the fan is on. Just smelling the air diverters makes me think I will have to physically clean it out. I saw some YouTube vids on the dash removal. I assume the ducting will reveal itself after that.
Thanks again

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,015 Posts
Another consideration before pulling the dash; remove the four vent outlet directors and use a long flexible microfiber wand saturated with a cleaning or neutralizing agent. There are wands two feet long or more.

duster.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 XB that was owned by a serious smoker. Can someone give me any guidance on removing the ducting so I can wash it?
Small Ozone Machine / Generator might do it. Would need the AC on Full with the doors closed for maybe 30 minutes.
Of course after changing out the In Cabin Air Filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small Ozone Machine / Generator might do it. Would need the AC on Full with the doors closed for maybe 30 minutes.
[/QUOTE
Thanks Ryan! I thought about that. Even ordered one but it couldn’t be delivered because I live in California...lol

Good tip though. I hear it works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts