Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, did all the diagnosis via the factory service manual and it looks like my ABS actuator is out. Found a used actuator and am going to replace it this weekend. However, I'm sure that there is air in the replacement actuator itself.

Is there any way AT ALL to bleed the actuator without taking it to the Stealership? All they're going to do will be to hook it to their active scan tool, actuate each pump, run fluid through and then ask for $89 (plus "shop fees").

Can I use a pinout of the the ABS harness to do this myself? Maybe do 12V+ to each pump pin?

Anyone help me out with this? Thanks in advance!

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, BestmpgxB!

Yeah, I saw that procedure. But then when you get to section 32-4 of the FSM it goes into bleeding the actuator itself using the Toyota "hand-held tester" (basically an active scanner) plugged into DLC3 (OBD port under the dash). It uses the active mode on the scanner to activate each pump in turn...

Perhaps I'm missing something? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
It looks like you only have to bleed the actuator if you can't get proper height and feel of the brake pedal after master cylinder and brake line bleeding. I don't see an easy way to emulate their hand-held tester's functions, but hopefully there'll be no need to use it. Unfortunately, starting with a dry actuator is probably the worst-case scenario

All you can do is replace it, bleed what you can, and be prepared to drive or tow your xB to the dealership if necessary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that's what I was afraid of....

Guess there's nothing to do but try it out. The replacement actuator was from a wrecked '06 that had only been of the road a few months. Cross my fingers that it's not completely dry...

Thanks for your replies!

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Let me know how it comes out, and good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts