Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, if this is in the wrong section or if this has already been found please do what you will mods. I already searched and didn't find anything like what I am about to post.

A little background. . . many people who drive the xB complain of a rattle from the door. Those of us who have installed speakers or have pulled the inside panel to see what was going on have tried everything from eDead and dynomat to sticking rags in suspicious areas. Yesterday I was making mounts for my 6 1/2 in door speakers and decided to do a little poking around myself. I've done this before searched many times and came up with the same answers as everyone else. . .which really ended up being a really fustrating question. . .what is making the door rattle?

I didn't dynomat the whole door but instead just a 2 ft x 1 ft section behind the speaker on the door (I'm saving what little I have left for the trunk hatch). Anyway I was tapping the door in various places just to see if maybe I would see something. I did.

There is a piece on the door called the regulator. Basically it's the arm the window pane sits on. When you press the window switch up or down it causes the motor to move the regulator up or down.

I've worked on a bunch of Toyota window motors, switches, and regulators. The old toyota style was to use a wire which pulled the regulator up and down. The one on the xB seems to be a "x" or cross design. In my experience these regulators tend to rattle because of the way they are constructed. They are usually rivited together and are loose and really greased up to promote longevity and reduce wear over long time usage.

I suppose the short answer to everybodys' rattle is, I don't think we are ever going to get rid of the rattle just because of the way the regulator is designed. Maybe one of the engineers on the site will know how to "improve" the design.

Sorry to post bad news but I just don't want anyone else going nuts like I did.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have noticed a rattle in my xb when I'm idling (it's only got 4000 miles) at a stop, but it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, on the front drivers side corner. It's bugging me, but I haven't really done any research yet, so maybe it is the frnt door.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The door rattle usually apply to people who upgrade their speakers in the front two doors. Or if you listen to your music loud enough on the stock speakers. As far as the rattle from the front of the xB. If I remember correctly it has something to do with the upper radiator hose and having to move one of the clamps a few degrees. I think the clamp rattles against something under the hood. Mine went away after the first 15000 miles. I think there is a post about it somewhere on another scion website. I can't say which one out of respect for this site and it's mods but I'm sure you can figure that one out for yourself. . ha ha ha.

I've had the doors rattling since I had my stock head unit. But the music I listen to is rightfully named Drum & Bass. . . that's all it really is. . . .mmmmmmm . . . I love bass. some people just get lucky and don't have some problems others do.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hubbard said:
I have noticed a rattle in my xb when I'm idling (it's only got 4000 miles) at a stop, but it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, on the front drivers side corner. It's bugging me, but I haven't really done any research yet, so maybe it is the frnt door.

that the hood rattling adjust the hood stopper thing and it will be fine

the black thing

it happen to mine

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The only rattling I notice is the window, especially when it's down half way. Never heard the door rattle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.