Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now my car is running and i am working out all the kinks. There was some grinding noise coming from the water pump and a/c compressor. I replaced the water pump, took pics and will post a diy article in the next week.
But has anyone and any experiance working on a a/c compressor?
It works fine but there is some grinding coming from it.
I would like to take it apart and regrease things?
Any info would be great.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
There is some crazy pressure inside the A/C system so if you think about taking the compressor out- be super careful. And when you put it back together you'll need to use new seals on the pipe connections and have a shop recharge it with R-134. This is not a DIY kind of issue, really.
The noise is probably coming from the compressor clutch or the shaft bearing- this is something only a rebuilder can handle.
The whole thing is pretty involving. May be you can just try to wash whatever dirt you may have in the clutch with water and compressed air. Probably got some sand when it got flooded and rusted.

·
Banned
19 Posts
AC compressors on the years between late 2004 and through 2005 are crap. I went through 3 of them. Especially if you have a super charger. their clutch driven. Don't have much input on it because I tore it out and I no longer use air. But keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having huge problems with mine. Heres the scoop
I recharged the ac sytem cause it was not working. Everything worked out great. Ice cold ac engine ran great thought my worries were over. Well I was wrong about 4 days later my engine started making a screeching and clicking sound. I had it checked out and the tabs on the inner part of the pulley assembly have broken and no longer turned the compressor. I ordered a brand new compressor, flushed the line, vaccumed the system down and replaced all o rings on the lines. I took it back to the place that checked it out and they recharged the system but said it seemed like something was blocking the line. So he told us to bring it back. We did and he had it all day now he is saying the computer needs replaced. I tested the electric valve on the compressor and all seems fine. I checked the high pressure switch and it works fine. I am at a loss and dont know what to do now. I realy dont think it is a computer issue as I am getting good voltage from the connector and when the ac switches on voltage gets higher.
Please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated also I am tired of throwing money at this dang car and not resolving the issue
Sorry to hijack your thread but this is my first post and they have a 10 post minimum before posting threads
Jason

oh tis is a 2005 Scion XB 2.0 release series with 69000 miles

·
Registered
89 Posts
if the pressure switch is a 2 wire switch you can just the connector and turn the ac on. it should kick on. typically ac problems are just low refrigerant. does the clutch turn on and the ac isnt cold?? how do the lines feel at the high and low schrader valves? (fyi the high side line might be hot so be careful!!!) If you compressor the broke before had particles go through the system then you might have a restriction somewhere or an expansion valve that isnt working correctly. GL

·
Registered
2 Posts
the pressure switch is a 4 wire. I did jump it and it does kick everything on making me think the ac is working but still no flow in the lines. The lines will not be cold if I cannot get any flow through them. As for particles i flushed all of the lines and I can blow air through them without any issue.
This ac stuff is driving me batty I am about to give up and drive it without ac again

·
James Coney Island
3 Posts
I had a new compressor install in my scion along with the coil and evaporator because it was not cooling at times but after a new compressor, evaporator and coil it is still doing the same, what to do? Please help, sorry but I do not know how to post a bew thread

·
James Coney Island
3 Posts
The first time I took it to Toyota and the diagnosed was a bad compressor but it was $3500.00 parts and labor so I took it to a different shop and the diagnose was the same and a couple of hundred dollars difference so I took it to this guy who has done AC work for me in the past and he is a very good AC guy, he ordered it on line and replaced it along with the1. Compressor $521.00 + tax
2. Coil and evaporator 250.00 + tax
3. Labor $300.00
He is really trying to find the problem but he has not been able to do so and that is where he and I need the help but by all means he is doing his best to find it and fix it.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
It's not really possible to tell you what's wrong with the AC system because all you know is that some parts got replaced and it still is not working. Does the compressor receive a signal from the ac amplifier? And what are the pressures in the lines? Year of your car also makes the difference when it comes to electrical stuff, BTW.
Here is some factory if it helps any: Index of /Scion_Docs/2004_xB_Shop_Manuals/2004 xB Repair Manual/55 - Heater and Air Conditioning
If you get it fixed eventually, please post what it took to get the system working.

·
G-Man
9 Posts
Sorry to thread jack but I can't post yet.

Anyone know of a reputable source for an A/C compressor for an '06 xB? I'm not about to dump $2.1K to the stealership for one.

Thanks........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts