Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may be a little off topic but.....

I took my wife's Civic in for an oil change a week or so ago. I had a free oil change because last time it took my local dealer 3 times to do it correctly so, they gave me the next one free. Anyways, I also ask for the wiper blades to be replaced. The blades were 4.97 each. My bill came out to 18.51 after the free oil change. Is it common practice for dealers (Scion included) to charge customers 6.00 plus tax to install wiper blades during a routine oil change or any other service for that matter? I ask this question because I can go to any local parts store and purchase equivalent quality blades for the same price and have them installed for free. 6.00 for a 2 minute job equals 180.00/hr right? Yeah, this is petty but 6.00 is 6.00. I'm not made of money. :mad:

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah.....the only reason i take my xb to the dealership is because of my service agreement i baught with my car......as soon as that runs out i'll be under the hood doin the oil change......man those dealersips rip you off and they are sneaky with it...

·
On here once in a while!
547 Posts
Rodek said:
The funny thing is, is that they don't think customers catch on.
I'm a Nissan mechanic and trust me, customers are catching on quickly. The ones that don't catch on are the ones with $$$...:rolleyes:
They don't care cause they have money and they want their vehicles fixed right the 1st time and running right and of course, all work performed at the dealerships are warrantied... :)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
all work performed at the dealerships are warrantied.
i thought about that before you mentioned it, but then i started thinking.
"Is my wiper gonna fly off the arm and turn into a dangerous projectile"

lol. Im gonna take my chances on installing my own. I think its funny that the dealership charges so much, when it is a 30 sec job and that everywhere else will install for free!

·
On here once in a while!
547 Posts
ScionScotty said:
I think its funny that the dealership charges so much, when it is a 30 sec job and that everywhere else will install for free!
At our dealership, we don't charge for installing the wipers. The service director won't allow the techs to charge...:mad:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
metro273 said:
At our dealership, we don't charge for installing the wipers. The service director won't allow the techs to charge...:mad:

I feel like that's the way it should be at every dealership. Of course, if there's a major repair, recall or service to be done, I'd like a warranty. It's the little things that get my goat. When I catch a place doing that to me, I start to wonder where else they are reaching into my pocket. Credibility and trust of the dealer is severely damaged at that point.

I will surely think twice about buying another vehicle there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, having worked for a dealership before we never charged for the "install" of wipers or other basics. The dealer "mechanics" industry is falling down due to the increasing warranties and quality of cars but also because of the ease of some of the repairs, more people do their own repairs vs taking it to the dealer, hell, i'm one of them..unless it's something that requires a life...

dealers to over charge on alot of crap, but again, they warranty it and most of the time you're required to go there due to the warranty you have on your new ride.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's not a dealership thing. There are alot of shops out there that charge for that. And $6 is reasonable since I have seen it cost as much as $12.

No I'm not saying that to justify what they charged you. I know when I ran a repair shop, not only did I have my techs installing blades for free, I also had them Rain-x the windshield as well.

So to make a long post short.....

Yes, it's common now days for shops to charge that fee. Do I think it's right, no.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i work @ a toyota/scion and i can understand why they charge. I do and dont agree with them charging you, but heres what i have to say. At my dealership we have limited space (soon to change with the multi million refurbishing by toyota) and we handle huge quantities of customers...by the hundreds a day in service only. Every time someone has to take 5 minutes to do something its 5 minutes elsewhere they arent working...putting a customer in the waiting launge for even longer (which isnt bad with the big screen and all lol). What im getting at is at my dealership in particular, time is extremely valuable as we are one of the busiest dealerships in the area...so when we charge for a few minutes work for something another place would do for free, its only because we are charging for the limited time we do have. If there is another place that can make some money off you because they do something better or for free, we have no problem sending u there if u want to go, but if u want somehting done here our time is very valuable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
backseatchris said:
i work @ a toyota/scion and i can understand why they charge. I do and dont agree with them charging you, but heres what i have to say. At my dealership we have limited space (soon to change with the multi million refurbishing by toyota) and we handle huge quantities of customers...by the hundreds a day in service only. Every time someone has to take 5 minutes to do something its 5 minutes elsewhere they arent working...putting a customer in the waiting launge for even longer (which isnt bad with the big screen and all lol). What im getting at is at my dealership in particular, time is extremely valuable as we are one of the busiest dealerships in the area...so when we charge for a few minutes work for something another place would do for free, its only because we are charging for the limited time we do have. If there is another place that can make some money off you because they do something better or for free, we have no problem sending u there if u want to go, but if u want somehting done here our time is very valuable.

I understand where you're coming from. Not look at it at this angle.

The customer is priority number one. Not YOUR time. I paid for the oil change and the wipers. The same wipers would have been installed free at various parts stores. They already made money off of me on the wipers and oil change (oil change was about 10.00 more than local places about 10.00 more than doing it myself with OEM filter/oil.)

A simple free wiper install, since they were bought there, would be a great gesture to the customer. By them gouging me, they turned me away from their maintenance services and possibly from purchasing a new truck next month.

Which is more valuable? Your 3-5 minutes of time or the loss of a customer?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Rodek said:
I understand where you're coming from. Not look at it at this angle.

The customer is priority number one. Not YOUR time. I paid for the oil change and the wipers. The same wipers would have been installed free at various parts stores. They already made money off of me on the wipers and oil change (oil change was about 10.00 more than local places about 10.00 more than doing it myself with OEM filter/oil.)

A simple free wiper install, since they were bought there, would be a great gesture to the customer. By them gouging me, they turned me away from their maintenance services and possibly from purchasing a new truck next month.

Which is more valuable? Your 3-5 minutes of time or the loss of a customer?
Did you let the service writer or Service manager know you were displeased about the extra charge for the wiper install?
Without feedback and comments they wont change their policies at all.
If thier ok with losing buisness for a few bucks then theyre gonna be hurting soon enough.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cravin said:
Did you let the service writer or Service manager know you were displeased about the extra charge for the wiper install?
Without feedback and comments they wont change their policies at all.
If thier ok with losing buisness for a few bucks then theyre gonna be hurting soon enough.

I did call them. No call was returned to me. I actually took the time to also tell my story to the survey folks that called my house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.