Scion xB Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Filled the tank yesterday at $2.55 a gallon and got 40.9 MPG !!! Noticed too that the low fuel light came on put early 10 miles on so I am thinking here that I had about 1.5 gallons left !!!!!

Mind shipping some of that cheaper gas over here? I filled up yesterday @ $3.75 a gallon and got 30.8. I’ve been on a nice 28-30 mpg kick this week so thats always nice. Especially since I’ve been driving down to LA and back all week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dubeexb06

Thanks for the tire info.

FWIW, my wife (who drive the Scion most of the time) has gotten 33+ on the first 3 or 4 fills.

That's with auto, on maybe half worn stock size tires at 30psi, running the A/C ALL the time, 10 miles to the interstate on 30 mph max, twisty, uphill and downhill mountain roads and she has a heavy foot so its 75+ when she hits the highway-most of the time. (Of course we have only a few stop signs and NO traffic lights within the 20 miles or so to town going out the other way.)
I'm interested to see if it improves much or at all with another bump in the psi.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Franky, gas shot up from $2.52 to 3.09 a gallon yesterday morning !!!! On da bump in PSI it will ride stiffer but then I did not buy a caddy then !!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I need to change the oil, maybe check out the plugs and probably run some seafoam through the xb. I like my 30mpg. It’s like a milestone for me, seeing as it’s usually mid to high 20s.

Aside from the lead foot, anything else to help MPG? I need to check my psi, I like them around 45psi (205/45R17. A little more bumpier but beats running them too low and with all the lovely roads in SoCal, need all the PSI it can get lol.

---------- Post added 09-22-2018 at 09:35 AM ----------

Plus the 17k engine def helps! I have 166k !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot ask-are your Blizzak W80 1 size TALLER-or 1 size WIDER (or both) than your Dunlop 185-60R15's?
Winter tires USED TO have deeper tread than all season or "summer" tires and so were a bit larger diameter overall (size for size)-wonder if yours are that way too.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
My Xb is an auto and my winter tires are taller as I got a better price for them !!

Franky just keep working it and remember .. Right foot rules !!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I filled up at Chevron and got 24.6 mpg, driving the same way. Bad gas won't go back there, need to stick to my Shell, get 29-30.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
That does happen from time to time Samy as I learned years ago from bad gas myself !!! Thinking you got a great deal by saving a few cents on gas and then to find out your ride drives like $hit !!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Been filling up the past few days and getting anywhere from 28 to 34mpg. Not bad, but definitely not as good as mostly everyone here

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your prices drop and ours increase. Cheapest gas in town is about 3.79, Chevron runs about 3.99 (could be 4.09 soon at this rate)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in the DC/MD/VA region. Anyone who's driven on the capital beltway will attest to what I'm about to say.
If you do less than 65-70 MPH on the beltway when there's no traffic you will experience some serious road rage from other drivers at the least and possibly get rear ended or worse yet shot at or a cracked windshield from someone passing you and tossing a piece of spark plug at your windshield. The option to drive the slower speeds referenced in the OPs statement is hugely dependent on where you live and commute on a daily basis.
Then there's also the steep grades here in the mountains so you're engine is cranking out 4000RPMs even if you're doing 55MPH.
It's only doable on flat roadways or declines.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Filled my tank up yesterday morning at $2.55 a gallon (Just before they raised it to 2.78) and got 43.8 MPG !! This included a trip to Indy too !!

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts