Scion xB Forum banner

521 - 540 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
undercarriage is all rusty, like is was in a flood, even the seat rails are rusty. I didnt notice all that when I bought it though.
Car smells REALLY moldy inside after a rain as well sometimes.

·
Rescued RS 2.0
818 Posts
I bought mine Salvage Title as well. Taking it apart and then putting it back together in my restoration effort, I know exactly what evidence is there of past damage.

I personally don't have a problem with Salvage Title vehicles by itself. For instance, many times it's due to theft and cost to replace what was stolen (for instance price out what it would cost just to replace the seats with factory replacements) puts it over the cost to repair threshold for the insurance company to declare Salvage status.

·
Registered
388 Posts
it could be... have you had the transmission serviced?
I changed the fluid with the OEM 3x one week apart each time.
Other than that I have not.
What else should I do?

---------- Post added 09-28-2015 at 01:59 PM ----------

I bought mine Salvage Title as well. Taking it apart and then putting it back together in my restoration effort, I know exactly what evidence is there of past damage.

I personally don't have a problem with Salvage Title vehicles by itself. For instance, many times it's due to theft and cost to replace what was stolen (for instance price out what it would cost just to replace the seats with factory replacements) puts it over the cost to repair threshold for the insurance company to declare Salvage status.
I bought a Honda Prelude 91 SI salvaged.
It was stripped, and a guy replaced all the stuff.
It wad 22K miles and ran amazing for the 3 yrs I had it. Not one problem ever.
I got lucky that time, not so much this time.
Its my fault for not looking it over better.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
I changed the fluid with the OEM 3x one week apart each time.
Other than that I have not.
What else should I do?
Drop the transmission pan and change the filter. If yours had flood damage, your transmission filter could be full of all kinds of nastiness.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Drop the transmission pan and change the filter. If yours had flood damage, your transmission filter could be full of all kinds of nastiness.
I forgot I did that as well with the 1st change.

---------- Post added 09-28-2015 at 03:24 PM ----------

Water pump started making noise at 108K, but shop installed new one for me for $50 in labor, I supplied part and coolant.
I replaced brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and rear wheel cylinders at 109K also.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Back in the club! 40.1 on the commute and other driving this week (392.6 miles). I need to make sure I keep it a bit above 40 before Friday afternoon - my drive home covers the first part of the route for weekend runs to the Lake of the Ozarks, and the weather's getting warmer. From April to October, everybody with a house or a condo at the lake leaves early on Fridays, and traffic simply sucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best mileage I have gotten so for on the 2006 manual toaster which has just over 160k, is 34. Day-to-day commute around Chattanooga I get average 31MPG.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Took my box to a repair shop for a diagnostic, and they cant figure out why it gets abysmal mpg and lacks power.
They agree it doesnt but cant diagnose it.
this is the second time trying to get a diagnostic.
I am getting 18 mpg in the city with ac on, and 20 with it off.
I drive slow as I have said, and when I bought my toaster 5 yrs ago I drove faster and got about 26mpg.
I have done all the things recommended here.

Time to sell it I guess :(

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
That sucks, Bassman. I know you've put a lot of time and effort into making it work.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
So it's showing no codes? Could possibly be the VVTI solenoid or cam module. That could cause the loss of power and mileage. But you would think it would throw a code. Keep thinking that some of the early ones had an issue with the cam module.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Had to go to Chicago and decided to take my XB !!! Filled the box up and NEVER in Feb have I gotten 42.6 MPG !!!! Of course the weather did help !!!!!

521 - 540 of 553 Posts