Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 553 Posts

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have what it takes to get into the 40 mpg club? Tell us about it!

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's going to be a small club, but any Gen 1 can do it. I think the criteria should be at least a half tank averaging >40 mpg. It doesn't have to be a >400 mile tank using <10 gallons of gas. It can be a >200 mile tank using 5 gallons of gas.

Any xB1 can do it by driving 100 miles to grandma's & back, by driving in the slow lane with the trucks, and keeping your speed at (or below) 55 mph. You'll average about 45 mpg, & have enough of a mpg cushion to safely get 40 mpg for the tank. Try it the next time you go to the racetrack, an out-of-town concert, etc.

We may have to lower the bar for xB2s. I think 38 mpg is realistic for them, but I'll wait to hear from an xB2 driver or two who actually drive(s) a tank at 55 mph.

Boximurf, you should easily do it with your Scangauge's help.

MrJoshZombie, my best tanks were local country road tanks. I went over 1000 km (624+ miles) averaging 58-60 mpg. Freeway driving brings my mpgs down.

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are the members,
Mighty, mighty members.
Everywhere we go,
People always know,
Who we are,
So we tell them.
We are the members....

Gonna be a pretty exclusive club. Where are the rest of you? Dubee? Zman? Anybody else?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I don't drive nearly enough highway miles to hit 40MPG. :(

Best I'm hitting right now is 32 with 90% city.
Highway is bad, rolling around town (with not a bunch of traffic) is better.

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 11:24 PM ----------

My car was like this.

Grill block

To keep air flowing around and not into.

2008 data

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 11:26 PM ----------

Wheels were very lightweight at about 11 pounds a piece.

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 11:30 PM ----------

Highest tank was 45.9mpg, lowest was 32mpg, because I decided to go 100mph on the highway for 10 minutes and it destroyed the entire tank.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I mainly commute in morning/rush hour traffic so it's hard to keep my MPG up. (at least for me).

I could do things like take off my roof rack, but I'm simply not that dedicated. Although, I did take a trip to my hometown (about 130ish miles) over the weekend and set the cruise control between 45 - 60 MPH depending on the road, and I'm at 312 miles on the tank and a bit less than 1/4 left on it, which is very rare for me.

I could do the "half-tank 40MPG runs" but I feel that's cheating. Anything under 9 gallons and it just doesn't seem legit to me.

This year I'm averaging 27.79 MPG over 3,740 miles. I'd say 85%+ of that is my 12 mile work commute. I haven't taken any real trips yet this year.

·
Driving the Velobster
1,471 Posts
The wife usually keeps the B around 32 driving to and from work during the week... I'd guestimate about 75c/25h.

Though, when we take a run over to Gulf Shores or up to B'ham I drive and typically wind up right around 43.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've hit 40 and maybe a little over a few times, as this one area I fly fish is 200 mile and change round trip and use less than half a tank 90% of the time.

the other 10% is when I try to make it there/one-way in a little over 1½ hrs. and now with the new wheels~40's and pending front bar it will be a little less often.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
I work really hard to get my MPG in the 40s !! Went to Carlseton SC and back and did get 42 going down and 40 coming back !! More hills coming back than going down !!

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are more of you/us out there than I thought! I'll try to update the list from time to time.

Alphabetically, here we are. 40 mpg tank honorees, all driving Gen 1 xBs:

BestmpgxB
BigRuss
Dubeexb06
Rock Box
ToneSter
Zman

·
Registered
179 Posts
Went to pick up a set of wheels and tires for my van and wanted to know exact cost for the trip&wheels. So I filled it into filler neck, made the round trip, and refilled. Back of the xB looked like this for the ride home

Probably 80% 2 lane roads, 20% e-way, never above 55 mph for the trip.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Never did look up weight, but they were stock steel wheels of a 2012 express van, with 245/75/16's

---------- Post added 07-04-2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

Been averaging low 30's easy. Mid 30's and up take a little effort for mine.

1 - 20 of 553 Posts