Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next mod is going to be a header and there seems to be alot of options. The 4-2-1 should be better at the low end and the 4-1 should be better at the high end. has anyone done either?:confused:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The megan header looks like a nice unit. Thats a 4-1 collector, now i just need someone thats done a 4-2-1 to see what they think. I know that the
4-1 headers are mainly high end 3,500 rpm and up. The 4-2-1 headers should give you alot more punch at the low end. I just wanted to see if people had some good experiences with them first. Headers might not make a huge difference on such a small cc motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That link is still the 4-1 headers. They look very nice but a little expensive for what they are. The 4-2-1 headers actually flow twice as much exhaust because they separate the runners so that the exhaust pulses arent arent fighting against each other. OBX makes a 4-2-1 at a really decent price. I was just hoping someone had some first hand about whether the gain is worth it. As i was saying before some of smaller motors dont push enough air to outwork the stock manifold. Also i took a really good look at the stock one and its pretty much a factory 4-1 header to begin with. The only thing the aftermarkets have going for them is that im sure they step the pipe diameter up a notch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i went from 110mph top to 120. the xB has tight gearing...doesn't need torque. it needs to breath up top

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
ask squirrel. I think he runs the MMW 4-2-1 header. IMO I'm going w/ the same MMW header myself because the xB already has good top end.
I want one real bad. Just haven't had the time to drive over to Weapon*r to pick one up.

Tim (Scionsniper) is running one. He posted a review on this site. He's been running it for at least a few months now, IIRC.

·
<3 my box!
57 Posts
the stock manifold already *looks* like a header. thats good enough for me. anything else would be downgrading quality IMO...

·
letzzzroll
199 Posts
get a strup 4-1 i might have paid a little more than i should have for it
but deffently worth it and it sounds great as well
:)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts about those cheapo Ebay headers?

I remember a thread either here or SL and people loved them with only a few people ripping them up

But it was UNDER 70 shipped.

Not sure if it was 4-1 or 4-2-1 etc though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked up a Weapon-R 4-2-1 header and a Fujita SRI from a fellow member on this site:D Installed on Saturday morning and the butt dyno was very impressed!!!
The throttle response was amazing, no lag like the stock system. This upgrade sounded a little raspy, so on Monday, I took it to the muffler shop and cut it off from just behind the resonator and replaced with 2.25 piping and a Magnaflow muffler and tip. Still running the factory CAT and resonator. So I can't really comment on just the header as I did the SRI at the same time and then the muffler two days later, but I will say that I am very happy with the end results. I am getting the same mileage as before with more performance and faster response, you can ask for much more than THAT!

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I guess it would depend on where you feel the engine needs the extra oomph.

I personally feel the 1nz severely lacks in the high-end, so when I had my box, I used a DC Sports 4-1 ceramic header. I also do a considerable amount of highway driving, which led me to the purchase of a 4-1.

If we keep the xA, I will probably do the same, seeing as I still do more highway driving than city.

the MMW part is insanely boss though. I'd do some testing with both styles if you can and decide which one suits you best.

·
SUSPNJNKY
5,599 Posts
damnit - thread rivival - i was hoping this was something new

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.