Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

thinking my first almost non-visible mod will be to have the 3M clear bra put on my hood, front bumper, and side mirrors (they'll throw in the 3M scotchguard for door edges, free)...I've read the reviews and tests, spoke with our local tinter (he worked for 3M) and it seems to be the best for avoiding dings, chips, etc...a big problem here in the PHX area, on all roads!

Anyone else have this done? Your thoughts?

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
http://denttime.com/clear_bra_kits.htm

I cant' find the link for the air bullet test...but someone did one!
:confused:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
A couple of the guys in my club Scinergy So Cal have had it done and they love it. I wish I had done it when I firtst bought my Box. You can't see it and it really does work!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I have heard nothing but good about them...i though about getting it myself...

first thunderGod, now thundrgrl...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, well...i have no great story, like ThunderGod...i just went by my toaster's color...TCM.

i thought thundrgrl sounded, uh, powerful~

darc:D

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
I have rockblocker. The owner is here in Phoenix - his name is Chad.
Look at www.rockblocker.com and tell Chad that I sent ya. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, good stuff, nearly invisible, but even when you CAN see it, as in this pic with oblique sunlight, it looks just fine. I know it works 'cause the protected area has no marks, while the plastic cover over my license plate is 'sand scoured' and has several 'stars' and cracks in it. Amazingly tough stuff!

Tomas

·
Registered
143 Posts
so what do i have to do in order for me to clean the bra?.. or i just leave it and never remove it again after install?.. i used have a front bra for my runner but over the period of time as i parked outside.. the color became little different than the part which was not covered so..

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It has a 'clear-coat' on it, just like the car's finish, and can be cleaned and waxed, etc., just like the rest of the car. It is not designed to be removed for cleaning, but it can usually be removed without damage to the paint. 3M guarantees their product for 5 years against yellowing or other color change. If the protective film is removed it is disgarded - it cannot be re-used.

(In the pic above, Vanilla also has a much thicker protective film over her headlights to protect them from rocks and grit.)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/Find_Installer/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they got back to me fast...

but my quote from Empire Shield
http://www.empireclearshield.com/

was $100 cheaper...and that's all they do, 3M, and all certified...

so, ill probably go with them...but thanks, moonray~ and cute basset, BTW...

we have a greyhound and dalmatian (lost my lab/dane mix to cancer this summer)...and my car will be clean until the next vet visit!

darc:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
What sort of price is this going for these days? A year and a half ago it cost me about $262 installed.

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didn't have a breakdown on my quote, but now i'm curious...$350 installed- hood, front bumper, mirros...and all work gets the 3M scotchguard on the doors' edges...they'll come to my home/work.

was that a 20% disct on your bill?

i haven't seen the the film for less than 285, DIY...so it seems a deal, to me.

i'm cheap, but i'm a teacher...i'll pay for install...and someone else wanted $450...i may get one more quote, local to my workplace.
But, I'll ask my male students when classes resume next week...they'll know who to see~
:cool:

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have it on mine and will be soon putting it on my wifes Z after we get it painted. Great product and worth the money, but the sooner you install it after buying/painting the better.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, that was a 20% discount - the 'normal' installed price was $300.75 + tax, or $327.22 - that's VERY close to your $350, especially considering that I didn't get door-edge protection tossed in. :)

Sounds like a very good price to me. :D

(That link I gave in that previous post was to an 'installer finder' at the 3M site, in case anyone needed it.)

Tom

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I bought my xb at the end of May, the dealer wanted to charge about $470 to cover the whole front end, lights, door edges, side view mirrors, & door handles. I got the base package that covered my lights, sideview mirrors, & door edges & I think it was about $190. P.S. on the black sand pearl even if you know it's there it's almost impossible to see.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the clear bra also and it is a very worthwhile investment. A couple days ago some retard kicked up a tire and it came rolling towards my car. well I tried to slow as much as I could without making the truck behind me slam into me. Well it hit the front end and only managed to scuff up the clear bra a little bit. I think it would have for certain cracked my aftermarket fiberglass lip without it on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hmm about 330?ish for a clear bra for a xB...amazing!

...what would the world be like with out clear bras?....

·
Registered
143 Posts
when i get my xb i am planning to get this installed.. need to find a professional shop to do it for me.. any recommendation in so cal?.. 714/562/909/949 area.. any shops?

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
I got quoted $800 for bumper/hood edge/ mirrors/ fender corners/ roof edge. And thats for something you cant even see :confused:
Please recommend someone in Ventura/Valley.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.