Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I searched and found this thread: Custome 3D lrinted toaster grill emblem but couldn't find any dedicated threads for 3D printed things for our toasters. Unless I just failed to discover it...

So I've already made a few things that I needed, I began with a cell phone holder that fits into that fold-down flap box below the radio. Then I reverse engineered the hood support rod clip/clamp because mine was broken on my latest 06. I'll post Thingiverse links here in a second... And right now I'm drawing up a simplified version of those little hexagonal mesh grill sections that are always missing on most of the 1stGen xBs I see on the road. Mine is also missing them, so I started drawing one up in SketchUp today and will hopefully be done with it soon...

Here's a link to all of the 3D printable designs I've shared: Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

Hopefully very soon I'll have those grill thingamabobs on there. Here's a sneak preview of how far I've gotten with it today:

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so please ignore how shitty the print looks. My 3D printer is acting up and I need to diagnose what's going on...

My design is going to be very simplified from the original, and definitely not an exact match. Mostly for convenience, but also because none of us really have a need to install this piece in less than 15sec on a Toyota assembly line for the cheapest possible cost with the least amount of parts. :)

Haven't checked to see if it will even fit yet, this is an early prototype. My plan is to either throw a black button head allen screw(s) through the whole thing with a nylon locknut and fender washer, or perhaps figure out a way to just use rough thread screws from the backside...? Will have to see how tricky it is to get to the inside of the bumper plastics.

Few pics of progress so far. I still need to skinny up the hexagonal likes a bit.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would buy a hood prop and like to see pic of fon holder holding fon......

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would buy a hood prop and like to see pic of fon holder holding fon......
Just find a buddy or local 3D printing service near you and show them that Thingiverse link / file. I don't sell the end product, I'm just helping other 1stGen owners replace plastic parts that often break.

That reminds me, I need to upload my newer version, it uses a bolt instead of the clip-in style of the original. It was too tight of a fit, and I wasn't sure how flexible ABS plastic would be for the clip for long-term use. I trust the bolt version more. That's actually when I had my epiphany of original vs. redesign. (Toyota needed as cheap and fast as possible for assembly)

I've been wanting to take a pic of my phone in the phone holder, but... My camera sits in the phone holder. :D

I need to have my buddy take a pic... I'll see if he's down for going out to lunch today and I can pull this off.

Beginning the print of rev A of the grill plate mabob right now... Hopefully it turns out much better than the previous prototype. I think I figured out what went wrong, but won't know for about 15min.

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started working on a battery holder / tie-down top piece, since neither of my xBs came with one. I searched eBay hoping to find an old stock one, but no dice, so I figured... "It's not rocket science, I'll make one."

So I'm still in the beginning stages, but I like it so far. Doing a test print here soon to check fitment. Not sure what color I'll do it in, but it's a very simple design and I'm hoping ABS plastic holds up fine. I'll make it much thicker once I've dialed the dimensions in. And I'll put it on Thingiverse when I'm done so that others can print their own for cheap.

Sneak peek:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Technical drawing

Slope Font Urban design Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, much appreciated.

I tried test-fitting the battery holder last night and realized that perhaps the offset holes were not factory. The non-center hole appeared to be drilled by one of the previous 8 owners of this vehicle, lol.

Are the rest of y'all's battery holder holes dead center with the battery? Which would make a lot more sense. I am not sure why mine's like this...? (Other than it's an extremely tight fit to get to the centered hole on the right/driver side of the battery.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts