Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JLap
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, my family has owned 3 xBs and we have always loved 'em. We owned a 2005, 2008 and now a 2014. Easy to fix, (with the help of forums like these, of course!) and fun to drive. However, here is a doozey...

My 2008 manual (203,xxx miles) benefited from a "moderate" dealer engine rebuild as part of a warranty (another great perk!) and a new clutch about 1.5 months ago. Two days ago, I went to start her up, and didn't get a turnover. Tried jumping it, nothing. Battery tested normal, alternator was great. Only way - and I mean the ONLY way to get it to turn on and run - was by popping the clutch in 2nd gear. Dash lights up fine, headlights work without dimming (until after popping the clutch, when it sits in neutral it runs rough).

Installed a new starter to no avail. Again-install was easy as pie, when it didn't work we popped it over to a mechanic, he tested the part and said it was a "bad part." I bought another starter, same deal. I also replaced the starter relay, no dice. Brought back to shop, they said no idea and to take to a dealer.

What the heck is going on with my beloved xB...? Is it a complete electrical failure that is gonna cost me thousands? At this mileage, should I consider junking? Could the clutch install have caused this, even 1.5 months later? Would anybody buy this car? Thanks in advanced. :) :crying:

·
Bock's Car
1,100 Posts
Check all your fuses. I'm not sure if you could get it to start with a bad ignition switch or not ,but I'd look at that too.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does the clutch pedal feel the same as before the replacement?

I had to bleed my slave cylinder and it had air in it at first. If the clutch is not engaging, that could be the culprit. Have someone watch the slave move in and out while you press the pedal. I had a ***ch of a time doing this, but was able to get all bubbles out with about 10 depressions and bleeds.

Remember to check your brake fluid level!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts