Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now I have the Perrin sri with the trd exhaust. I'm only getting about 220 miles on a full tank. I also have one of those redline power chips. I'm wondering where all my gas is going:( :confused: My grill is open, so I know the intake is getting sufficent air supply. I only top out at 75 mph on the fwys too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME......ANYONE?????????:confused: :confused:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I just put the Perrin pulley on and Got a full tank of gas last night. I will let you know in about 3 weeks.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I usually get around 250 before I fill up, but its not in the red or the low fuel light flashing.

Those power chips don't do squat, I'd take it off.

Maybe its the lead foot you've developed? I know when I'm on the throttle hard alot, my mpg drops to between 20-25 mpg. Normally I'm around 28-30 mpg while taching around 4k rpm on my 5 speed, and that's with the 18s and all of the crap added to my xB.

Also, if you're at 30k miles, make sure you change your spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
squirrel said:
I usually get around 250 before I fill up, but its not in the red or the low fuel light flashing.

Those power chips don't do squat, I'd take it off.

Maybe its the lead foot you've developed? I know when I'm on the throttle hard alot, my mpg drops to between 20-25 mpg. Normally I'm around 28-30 mpg while taching around 4k rpm on my 5 speed, and that's with the 18s and all of the crap added to my xB.
I ride at aorund 3500-4000 on the fwys. I also have the 5 speed manuel, with 18's. I know that before I dropped that chip(Module) on, I was averaging 30-32 mpg. I'm gonna take the chip( module) off tonight after I debadge the back.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yeah, what that chip does is tricks your MAF and ECU to think its running lean, and richens the mixture. Thus the "increase" in hp that it claims.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I average 25 a gallon. But I start and stop the whole time. Tank last around 3.weeks
And when I do drive it I drive it hard!

·
Registered
193 Posts
i usually go about 260 to 270 on a tank of gas...sometimes i go farther if i drive very slow and start and stop very slow...it has kinda disappointed me that i don't get better gas mileage...i don't know how some people are getting 38 MPG...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
squirrel said:
Yeah, what that chip does is tricks your MAF and ECU to think its running lean, and richens the mixture. Thus the "increase" in hp that it claims.

DING DING DING!!! Correct!! That's 100% of your problem. Your vehicle is dumping as much fuel as it possibly can into your motor 100% of the time instead of just when it needs it thus negating many of the fuel saving devices your car is designed with.

Around town in winter here in Iowa I don't get very good fuel mileage either, but I will still get 240+ miles out of a tank (refills for me are usually 9.5-10.5 gallons).

-Alex

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MattyRattyPoo said:
Its probably that power chip you added that really dosnt add power. Take it out and you should be fine.

I knew it!!!!!!!!! My dad doesn't believe me either. He keeps trying to tell me to take the neg of my batt off so my ecu can reflash witht he new filter I put on. I figured that it was dumping too much fuel. Tahnx for the input guys:D

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
I knew it!!!!!!!!! My dad doesn't believe me either. He keeps trying to tell me to take the neg of my batt off so my ecu can reflash witht he new filter I put on. I figured that it was dumping too much fuel. Tahnx for the input guys:D
And you don't need to unhook the battery to reset the ECU either. It can be done by removing the fuse in the fuse box.

Once you remove that chip, let it idle, and only idle, for a few minutes, and everything should be fine.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
i used to get 220 when i first got the xB, that is because i let it warm up for 5 or more minutes, lol! but now, i just let the xB warm up for like 20-30sec. because people told me to. i've been getting 30+ mpg nowadays, worst i got was 26mpg. whats weird is that i got 32mpg on my last fill up and i was going 95+ mph on the freeway for a short period...

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
So curiousity chiming in here...

To increase MPG's what would you suggest in aftermarket parts?

I'm looking to getting the Greddy EVO2 Exhaust and changing to 17's here. Are there any other tips, tricks and gadgets that effectively increas MPG's?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I'm probably averaging around 30 mpg.........

But my "comfort" speed is 80mph, so I know what my problem is! And no aftermarket engine parts, yet. (Fujita SRI?! :D )

But isn't gas mileage affected over a certain mph, say 65? :confused:

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
dtrain619 said:
I'm probably averaging around 30 mpg.........

But my "comfort" speed is 80mph, so I know what my problem is! And no aftermarket engine parts, yet. (Fujita SRI?! :D )

But isn't gas mileage affected over a certain mph, say 65? :confused:
Dion,

My mpg starts to drop over 80 mph. :eek: I agree, the xB just seems to float at 80 mph. :eek: :D

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
squirrel said:
Dion,

My mpg starts to drop over 80 mph. :eek: I agree, the xB just seems to float at 80 mph. :eek: :D
It floats at 115 too, "down hill." Felt like I was going to break something so I shut it down since it's only Governed at 109. Driving back to Houston after Evacuation. Open Highway.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Padanky said:
It floats at 115 too, "down hill." Felt like I was going to break something so I shut it down since it's only Governed at 109. Driving back to Houston after Evacuation. Open Highway.
Open highway?! :eek: Nice. I haven't pushed it past 85, remember I live in SoCal, most people here have absolutely no driving skills! Plus, my reaction times would probably be reduced if I went any faster, not to mention drawing undue attention from Ponch and John....... (opps, showing my age again! :) )

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
dtrain619 said:
Open highway?! :eek: Nice. I haven't pushed it past 85, remember I live in SoCal, most people here have absolutely no driving skills! Plus, my reaction times would probably be reduced if I went any faster, not to mention drawing undue attention from Ponch and John....... (opps, showing my age again! :) )
I think that's a requirement for any heavily populated area in CA, non-driving skills!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.