Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2013 xB a few months back new to me. The dealer only gave me one key and wanted $400 for an extra. Of course I told them to pound sand.

Fast forward to this weekend when I stopped by a local Ace Hardware to just have a door key made for it so my wife could at least get in the car. The guy said he could try and make a chipped key for me and off we went.

The machine at Ace said my key has no chip. My Original Key has no chip. It's a factory Scion Key. The gentlemen made me a key and lo and behold the new key not only unlocks my doors but also starts the car. To be sure I had her start it with me 100' away as to not think my key was the one doing it.

Very happy to have paid $2.99 not $400. >:D

Next question... Why is it like above? and how do I go about getting keyless entry for my extra set. Can you get just any old keyless fob and program it up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No it would have to be a keyless remote that was meant for the car, I have never seen a universal transmitter for a vehicle. I was never aware they made these cars that new with no transponder in the key, very weird. I almost wonder if someone bypassed it previous to you owning it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I'm Curious as to what kind of key they made you. Can you offer more detail and a pic? Wife lost my spare key, so I'm looking for another option to overpriced dealer key with built in remote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm Curious as to what kind of key they made you. Can you offer more detail and a pic? Wife lost my spare key, so I'm looking for another option to overpriced dealer key with built in remote.
It's just a regular key. Matched up a blank and cut it. Simple as that. They put my main key in the chip machine but it said no chip found...in my main key, the one with the key fob attached.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
OK, was a little confused. Thought you had a remote key made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts