Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I've visited this forum several times over the past 4 years since I purchased and finally decided to join. I am a professional dog walker and the xb has been a great car- great gas mileage for city driving and comfortably fits 5-6 dogs- it even passed a safety inspection by my city so I could get my commercial dog walker's permit. I have 6 tethers in the car to keep the dogs safe. I have a guy that comes to my house 1x a month and cleans & details my car in & out so I've kept it very clean. I love my xb! This photo is after her last wash at the beginning of the month. (I hope it shows).

I took my car in to Toyota for servicing this past Thursday. I've been really good about having regular service done. It had 52k miles when purchased and now has 70k. I got some devastating :crying: news yesterday and joined so I could post about it in this forum to get feedback & maybe help other xb owners avoid what I am now facing. Which section is the correct section to post in?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
Welcome to the group! I'm glad you finally decided to join us.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well so here's my story. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else and thought it might be helpful to others. (I wanted to post so that the info would be available in a search but it will not allow me to post under General.) Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm still in shock & haven't slept!

The Title is:

Hole in my engine - Piston Issue

About 2 weeks ago, my 2011 xb (manual 5 speed) started having acceleration issues. I dont work on cars at all and thought it might be my clutch giving out until a friend suggested I buy some fuel cleaner. So I did but read the bottle which said to use on an almost empty tank. Great! I had just filled my tank the day before. So fine, Ill siphon gas out. Nope, not possible. Ugh! A few days go by and the issue gets worse so I call Toyota to make an appt for servicing and the soonest appt was a week later. This past Thurs, on the way in to Toyota, car starts smoking & just shuts off on the freeway.

I purchased 4 yrs ago with 52k miles and it currently has 70k and I have taken it in to the dealer for regular servicing, about once a year- this most recent service I believe is the 5th time I’ve brought it in.

So I found out yesterday there is a big hole in my engine. I went there today to gather some belongings from my car and spoke with a very nice service manager. He showed me the hole and the connecting rod which was retrieved somewhere underneath the hood- not where it belongs and it was all gouged up. I saw another piece of it under the hood and the hole had what looked like metal shavings or melted solder in it. The service manager said he had never seen anything like it and had no idea what could have caused it. Neither do I! I drive very little and drive safely as I very rarely go anywhere without mine and /or other people’s dogs- precious cargo- riding along with me. Here's a photo of the connecting rod:

My powertrain warranty expired this past March.
The service manager told me if I wanted to see if Toyota would provide me with some assistance, I would have to pay $2-3k to have the engine removed to have it inspected. But there would be no guarantee after that investment that Toyota would help me.

My friend who is a Honda car salesman did some research and found this:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2007-2015-scion-tc-xb-piston-issue-1420682965001/

I copied & pasted the text below in case link doesnt work. The date on this is Dec 22, 2015 on CARS.COM —

Vehicles affected by service bulletin:
* 2007 Scion tC
* 2008 Scion tC
* 2009 Scion tC
* 2010 Scion tC
* 2008 Scion xB
* 2009 Scion xB
* 2010 Scion xB
* 2011 Scion xB
* 2012 Scion xB
* 2013 Scion xB
* 2014 Scion xB
* 2015 Scion xB
All equipped with 2AZ engine.

The problem: Owners may experience excessive engine oil consumption due to faulty pistons.
See More Service Bulletins
Corrective action: Dealers will replace the pistons and rings.
Warranty info: This repair is being done under the powertrain or extended warranty, whichever is applicable.
What owners should do: Call your local dealer with your vehicle's identification number to determine if it's involved in this service bulletin. You can also call Scion at 866-707-2466 or NHTSA at 888-327-4236. Reference TSB No. SB0024-11R2.
Need to find a dealer for service? Go to Cars.com Service & Repair to find a local dealer.
Editor's note: This is only one of dozens of service bulletins issued each month by automakers. Please check your automaker's website to see if your vehicle has any service bulletins pending.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Damn that is bad so I am taking that you had no ideal that you had this issue !! If Toyota is smart they will give a new engine as you have had it serviced by them !! I have an 06 Xb and wife drives a 12 XB and I love my XB !! G/L and let us know what happens as something during the servicing something got missed !!!!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
How often do you check your oil level? There was an issue starting with the 2008 XB engines consuming excessive oil. The dealerships would perform an oil consumption test. Oil would be changed and them engine sealed for a period of approximately 1100 miles. At that point dealership would check oil level. If I remember correctly, if the level was at or below the bottom mark on the dipstick, it failed the test. Pistons and rings would then be changed in the engine. My 2010 with 175k miles has spermatic oil usage. And I am now past the age and mileage cutoff. But I check my oil level weekly as a precaution.

Reactions: dubeexb06

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
Our 2007 tC was included in that recall. Scion ended up replacing or whole engine block for free last year. The way they made it sound was that there was a time limit to get it done under the recall. But mine had like 155,000 miles on it too. You might get lucky and run your vin# to see if it was already serviced as part of that recall. If not you may be able to get them to fix it free of heavily discounted. Especially if you press the issue.

Reactions: dubeexb06

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I brought my car in for service about every 9 months to the same Toyota dealer and I was driving less than 5k miles /year. I put 18,000 miles on the car in 4+years. I had no problems or issues I was ever made aware of. Whatever they recommended, I had done. My car was my livelihood and safety was paramount. I plan to exhaust every resource.
Shouldn't the Toyota service manager know about this issue in the Service Bulletin? I plan on filing a report with the NHTSA. I tried today but links are not working! Grrr!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I brought my car in for service about every 9 months to the same Toyota dealer and I was driving less than 5k miles /year. I put 18,000 miles on the car in 4+years. I had no problems or issues I was ever made aware of. Whatever they recommended, I had done. My car was my livelihood and safety was paramount. I plan to exhaust every resource.
Shouldn't the Toyota service manager know about this issue in the Service Bulletin? I plan on filing a report with the NHTSA. I tried today but links are not working! Grrr!

---------- Post added 07-22-2018 at 02:19 PM ----------

Where is the edit/ delete button?

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
Can't edit or delete... I actually received a postcard from toyota.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
But yes they should have informed you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our 2007 tC was included in that recall. Scion ended up replacing or whole engine block for free last year. The way they made it sound was that there was a time limit to get it done under the recall. But mine had like 155,000 miles on it too. You might get lucky and run your vin# to see if it was already serviced as part of that recall. If not you may be able to get them to fix it free of heavily discounted. Especially if you press the issue.

Can you tell me where you had it done and the approximate date please? I am gathering information & evidence to add to my report I filed with the NHTSA. Thankyou for letting me know!

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
I want to say end of last summer. I'm pretty sure they said that we had to get it done before October which was the end of the recall. Or something like that. Sparks toyota in Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts