Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Scion xB OEM Mylar tweeter is not bad, and will be fine for most listeners, however the lack of higher frequency detail (12khz and up), or "sparkle" expected from a tweeter, is not present with these stock mylar tweets. I replaced the tweeter with a pair of these titanium tweeters. The modification has drastically improved the detail and sound-stage, although, ideally, these tweeters would be mounted higher. The photos exaggerate the size of new tweeter, it honestly looks like it came from the factory. This is not a beginner mod, you'll need dremel/soldering skills for the final product to look clean: Free Shipping Pair 2pcs HiEnd 25mm Titanium Dome Neo Magnet Tweeter 4ohm 30W | eBay

Expect about 1-2 week delivery time. Buy soon as these sell out quickly on the regular.

Have tested the modification for 8-10 hours. So far, the factory stereo has not clipped or shut down due to changes with wattage even while played at max volume.

Tools/items required:
+Wire snips
+Dremel
+Hot Glue (or any glue that can hold tweeter in place)
+Soldering Iron
+(2) Tweeters (listed above)
+(2) 3.3uf capacitors: 3.3uF 100V Electrolytic Non-Polarized Crossover Capacitor
+Flathead screwdriver

1.) Remove stock tweeter sail/mirror panel to gain access to tweeter. Can be done by gently pulling/prying away from the door assembly.

2.) Unclip wiring harness. (flat head screw-driver helps)

3.) With wire snips, snip tweeter leads that are connected to OEM female harness.

4.) Remove factory (female) harness that is attached to tweeter. I did this by placing the plastic female harness into a vice, and gently prying it away from the tweeter housing.

5.) Dremel out factory plastic about 1.5" diameter. I would dremel a little at a time. Test fitment after each time. **These tweeters come with adhesive foam for proper seal. Tweeter should fit snug.

6.) Wire up new tweeter and capacitor. It's wired in parallel. As pictured, wire the capacitor off the left side of harness, and MAKE SURE the 3.3uf capacitor is the SAME position as pictured to ensure proper directional function.

7.) Glue tweeter in place. Then add hot glue to alternate areas of sail panel to add mass and decrease vibration. Let glue dry, then carefully clip everything back into factory position.

8.) Enjoy accurate high frequency reproduction.

Any question please feel free to ask. I know I'm missing specifics here, didn't have the time to include every small detail. Again, this modification is intended for audio hobbyists.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Have always wondered if there was an upgrade to the 2nd gen tweeters. Well done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

does it matter which wire (blk/red) gets solder to the capacitor? sry complete noob. Also, how did you mod that phone holder to fit in that compartment? thanks !!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi,

does it matter which wire (blk/red) gets solder to the capacitor? sry complete noob. Also, how did you mod that phone holder to fit in that compartment? thanks !!

Looks like its on the positive side. One of the pictures it looks labeled + and - with the capacitor on the + side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts