Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Radio in 2009 or Older Scion!

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jerrymontano 
#1 ·
If you're like me you probably like the look and layout of the base 2010 radio (T1814) over the 2009 and older models. If you wanted to put the 2010 radio, however, into a 2009 or older Scion you'll find that almost everything fits, except the iPod connection. In 2010 they changed the connector on the back of the head unit from the narrow rectangular one to a more square USB looking one. So the iPod cable used on any older models cannot be used with the 2010 radio (both the base Pioneer unit or the upgraded Alpine unit). Furthermore, no one sells a cable that connects to the head unit for your iPod.

I've come up with a solution that will allow full funcationality of either the 2010 base Pioneer or the 2010 Alpine radio to work in your 2009 or older Scion. My solution is a modification of the information provided in a thread on the Scion Life forum. In that forum the solution will cost around $250 for the parts, as well as a good amount of disassembly of the center console area. My solution isn't cheap either (around $105), but it still provides the same functionality, and requires a lot less messing with disassembling and reassembling of the interior.

Here's a summary of the modifications:

1) I purchased Part # 86203-12340 from Toyota for $105. This is a wire harness for the 2010 xB that goes from the new 2010 USB/Aux connector on the center console to the parking brake area.

2) I cut off the part of the harness that contains the brown connector which will connect to the back of the head unit.

3) I took an iPod cable (such as the cable you use to sync your iPod to your computer) and cut off the USB end.

4) I spliced these two pieces together. They both are essentially USB cable that contain four small wires (black and red for power, and two other colors for signals). You may have to test the colored wires both ways since they may not match in color.

5) I plugged the brown connector end of my new cable to the back of the head unit (I had to file the connector a little bit to get it to fit), and the iPod connector end to my iPod. I routed the iPod cable to the glove box.

And viola! My 2010 Scion radio works perfectly in my 2009 xB. (Note: This works for both the base Pioneer unit or the upgraded Alpine unit).

Note: If you want to keep the auxillary function it's necessary to make one other (small) modification. You'll have to redirect a small wire on the C27 connector from pin 14 to pin 18 (see diagram, courtesy of Dave90T from the scionlife.com forum). Otherwise you'll have everything else working except auxillary).

Hope this helps. Also, hopefully someone will come out with a cable like the one I fabricated for a cheaper price! But until then, if you really want that nice, new radio in your 2009 or older Scion, this is probably the cheapest, and easiest way to do it.

Attachments

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.