Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

My 2009 Xb instrument dash lights showing ABS-BRAKE-and VSC OFF spontaneously lit at the same time one week ago on my instrument display.

My Xb runs normally despite the lit lights. My Xb has 150K miles, and I am the original owner. Ive not had any electrical problems with my Xb ever.

I performed an OBD-II test on my Xb. No DTC's were detected.

When I drive my Xb, all (3) lights will go dark (unlit) for a few minutes, then all (3) lights will become lit again.

I disconnected and then re-connected my car battery. yesterday. The (3) lights were lit for 2 miles, then went unlit for a mile, then became lit again. Under city driving, the lights will randomly go out and then re-light.

Is it possible that a broken fuse could cause this problem for all (3) instrument lights?

I don't want to take my Xb to a Toyota dealer who will likely "hunt around "looking for the source cause of the (3) dash lights at $110 per hour and may or may not find the cause. The dealer wont guarantee to find the cause of the lit instrument lights.

Thank you Experts.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,674 Posts
The most likely culprit is a bad abs/speed sensor on one of the wheels. If you don't have a scanner take it your Autozone or Pep Boys and have it scanned to see what codes it is throwing so it can be narrowed down better. Both of them will usually scan the car for free. Or better yet, buy a scanner and OBDII BT dongle off of Amazon so you can do it yourself and have it for future use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I scanned my Xb with an OBD-2 scanner. NO DTC codes were found. Its a simple OBD-II scanner but it works perfectly.
Would Autozone be able to detect an ABS/speed sensor that my OBD-2 scanner would not?
Thank you kindly.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,674 Posts
I scanned my Xb with an OBD-2 scanner. NO DTC codes were found. Its a simple OBD-II scanner but it works perfectly.
Would Autozone be able to detect an ABS/speed sensor that my OBD-2 scanner would not?
Thank you kindly.
Depending on the level of their scanner yes. I know my mechanics will catch codes that my Torque app scanner does not.

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB, A/T
116 Posts
I'm gonna jump in with my xB, since I'm gonna be chasing electrical gremlins myself. 2006 Gen1, I'm throwing Evap and VVT codes. Just replaced the VVT solenoid, and my simple scan tool shows the codes, and can clear them. The codes come back after driving for a bit, and as I was driving solo, I don't know how long for them to come back. As a random observation, I tried to get a key fob that is supposed to work with scions to program, and even a scan tool couldn't get it to function. I hope it's just a simple wrong key fob, but it is what it is. As to the issue, my friend and I feel it's a communication issue, with a possible wire rub somewhere. Any opinions or thoughts of where to look?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello-

My 2009 Xb instrument dash lights showing ABS-BRAKE-and VSC OFF spontaneously lit at the same time one week ago on my instrument display.

My Xb runs normally despite the lit lights. My Xb has 150K miles, and I am the original owner. Ive not had any electrical problems with my Xb ever.

I performed an OBD-II test on my Xb. No DTC's were detected.

When I drive my Xb, all (3) lights will go dark (unlit) for a few minutes, then all (3) lights will become lit again.

I disconnected and then re-connected my car battery. yesterday. The (3) lights were lit for 2 miles, then went unlit for a mile, then became lit again. Under city driving, the lights will randomly go out and then re-light.

Is it possible that a broken fuse could cause this problem for all (3) instrument lights?

I don't want to take my Xb to a Toyota dealer who will likely "hunt around "looking for the source cause of the (3) dash lights at $110 per hour and may or may not find the cause. The dealer wont guarantee to find the cause of the lit instrument lights.

Thank you Experts.
Easiest least expensive possible fix.

Pour a can of B-12 Chemtool into a full tank of gas and drive the car :) https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Chemtool-Carburetor-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B000CCMNAG?th=1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts