Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed aftermarket fog lights on the xB and everything seemed well afterwards. Had to splice into the factory harness but that was easier said than done at first. Once I figured it out, lights worked as intended.

Now here’s the issue:
Some of the HVAC indicating bulbs don’t light up now, so it’s not easy to see where it is set at night. Also the PRNDL light doesn’t light up either. I did meter out that socket and its shorted out. Also, bulb works fine so I’m not sure where to start.

No voltage either, should’ve mentioned I checked that before checking continuity. All fuses in front are good too.

Any pointers or tips are appreciated. I’m at a loss and the gf hates that she can’t see the lights anymore, thanks!

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,474 Posts
You'll probably hate yourself if it's this but check to make sure that your dimmer isn't turned down since it's right next to the stock fog light switch location there is a very good possibility that it was dimmed. If it's ok then start checking the outputs from it to make sure they are good.

Also if you've got some of the HVAC lights out but not others they could just be loose. It's happened before and a solid thump to the side of the controls will usually shiftt them enough to make it work again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll probably hate yourself if it's this but check to make sure that your dimmer isn't turned down since it's right next to the stock fog light switch location there is a very good possibility that it was dimmed. If it's ok then start checking the outputs from it to make sure they are good.

Also if you've got some of the HVAC lights out but not others they could just be loose. It's happened before and a solid thump to the side of the controls will usually shiftt them enough to make it work again.

I would too if that was the case. Thankfully ruled out the dimmer prior to this though. The thing that struck me as odd is that with no parking lights/headlights on, the PRNDL light isn’t on but when metered, it’s shorted out.

When the lights are on, theres no voltage (since the bulb socket is shorted)

---------- Post added 12-20-2019 at 01:20 PM ----------

I’m just not sure where to go from here given the situation. Also emailed Winjet but they’re no help. I asked for the relay pinout and they sent me the writing diagram for the whole kit.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Have you tried unwiring the fog lights to see if everything starts working again?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried unwiring the fog lights to see if everything starts working again?

I have, and the issue still remains. Also I noticed that the radio doesn’t light up either aside from the screen. She had the car in for some recall fixes last year and she mentioned having some issues with cruise control around that time. I’m going to take a look at the paperwork to see what work was done and see if there could be a correlation there or with the lighting.

She only recently told me about the cruise control issue too. Go figure, she waits until theres multiple issues haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have, and the issue still remains. Also I noticed that the radio doesn’t light up either aside from the screen. She had the car in for some recall fixes last year and she mentioned having some issues with cruise control around that time. I’m going to take a look at the paperwork to see what work was done and see if there could be a correlation there or with the lighting.
She only recently told me about the cruise control issue too. Go figure, she waits until theres multiple issues haha.

I was wondering if you were able to fix this issue? I having the same problem. btw. what switch did you use?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering if you were able to fix this issue? I having the same problem. btw. what switch did you use?
No, unfortunately. I haven’t had much free time to dig into her car yet but I’m trying to trace out the wiring diagrams to see if I can figure it out without tearing apart the car.

The switch I used was the one provided in the kit by Winjet, I had to splice into the factory wiring to hook it up though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Athough.... I did notice a few leading to the rheostat aka dimmer switch so I may purchase a replacement after a little more digging on the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, unfortunately. I haven’t had much free time to dig into her car yet but I’m trying to trace out the wiring diagrams to see if I can figure it out without tearing apart the car.

The switch I used was the one provided in the kit by Winjet, I had to splice into the factory wiring to hook it up though.
how did you connect the two green wires, white and gray? sorry I am such a n00b

·
Registered
3 Posts
Athough.... I did notice a few leading to the rheostat aka dimmer switch so I may purchase a replacement after a little more digging on the wiring diagrams.
I noticed that too if I move the dimmer to like the lower setting, the radio light comes really dim and the lights in the dashboard will start to flicker

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how did you connect the two green wires, white and gray? sorry I am such a n00b
Sorry for the very late reply. I originally was going to tap into the wires but I figured it’d be easier if I cut the whole thing and do it that way.

You can tap into the wires instead since we know which wires to use now with a t-tap or something similar.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed that too if I move the dimmer to like the lower setting, the radio light comes really dim and the lights in the dashboard will start to flicker
Yea it does that here too! That’s why I was leaning towards replacing it. If you can do me a favor if the install went well, do your radio buttons/HVAC knobs (background lighting),and if you have an AT, the PRNDL lights still light up?

I’m trying to troubleshoot if I may have botched something during install or if Toyota did something when they repaired the airbag recall issue.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,474 Posts
Just had a though. Have a look behind the fog light switch and see if the dark green wire is touching metal or hooked up to anything. This is the illumination wire for the dash nad if it's grounded out it will cause the illumination to not work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had a though. Have a look behind the fog light switch and see if the dark green wire is touching metal or hooked up to anything. This is the illumination wire for the dash nad if it's grounded out it will cause the illumination to not work.
I’ve checked and nothing. I have them taped up but would not having them hooked up cause the same issue? Kinda like those christmas lights where if one goes out they all do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts