Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forums, see here.

I've only had the car for a few months but I noticed that the transmission fluid seems to be leaking, although I'm not sure from where. This transmission came to me with 250,000 miles on it and I have no idea when it last had a fluid change but it was a company car, so I hope they took regular care of it. Anyway, I was planning to do a quick drain and refill and was thinking of replacing the filter as well, in case that is leaking.

I got a WIX filter from my local store that has a rubber gasket. Should I use this or would you recommend I go to the dealer and get an OEM filter with the cork gasket?

Also, any other common leak areas I should check? I'll admit I haven't laid underneath yet to try and find the leak but I did replace the whole engine back in November so it's possible something happened then?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Since you did an engine sway, did you pull transmission as well? I would check transmission lines to make sure I didn't have a leak there. I don't remember hearing of any leak issues on the 2nd gen.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you did an engine sway, did you pull transmission as well? I would check transmission lines to make sure I didn't have a leak there. I don't remember hearing of any leak issues on the 2nd gen.
No, we just pushed the transmission out of the way to fit the engine. I will try to get under it today to see if I can tell what's leaking.

Any recommendations on replacing the filter?

· Registered
152 Posts
Judging by the picture, that's the passenger side axle shaft.........pretty easy to replace.

Jack up the car.

Remove front tire.

Use 30mm 12 Point socket to remove the axle nut (have someone press the brake pedal to prevent the axle from spinning while you turn this nut).

Use 17mm socket to remove three bolts located at the bottom of the strut assembly which secures the ball joint plate to the lower control arm.

Swing the bottom of the strut assembly away from the control arm while you push the end of the axle shaft thru the steering knuckle.

Use 15mm socket with a short 1" socket extension to remove the three bolts which secure the axle carrier bearing bracket to the back of the engine block.

Place a drain pan under the axle where the axle mates with the transmission.

Pull the axle shaft assembly out of the transmission.

Remove the axle shaft seal from the transmission.

Install new axle shaft seal.

Replace the transmission fluid which was drained.

To remove the axle seal, you can use a hammer with screwdriver to deform the seal, pull it out. Or you can use a slide hammer to pull it out or you can use a tool designed to remove these particular types of seals. Personally, I use the slide hammer.

Parts & labor.......this is a $700 repair where I work.

· Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
374 Posts
Looks like gojack is just another bot necrobumping a super old thread with a short vague response, but thanks for the helpful answer, Tony!

There really needs to be some sort of captcha puzzles for new users to have to go through before being able to post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts