Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have a 2008 XB and it burns oil terrible. My question is I want to buy an used Engine for it but don't want to get one with the defective pistons. Can I put a 2012 or 2013 engine in it without a problem?? Is there any difference in the blocks ? My Local Toyota dealer told me they were all different but I have no faith in them at all. Any help would be great !/B]

·
Registered
436 Posts
While not nearly as researched on 2nd gens, your local toyota dealership isn't entirely off base. The later model, I believe 2010/11 and up, 2az-fe has a higher compression ratio, higher redline, more aggressive cam profile and piston oil squirters, based off wiki to start and then browsing through various parts catalogs. The 2010 and up have different part numbers than the 2008-10 models, including but not limited to the cylinder head and block.
I know the issue with the earlier 2az's is the pistons and rings, causing excessive oil consumption which you stated, regarded in toyota's TSB(which lists only US rav4, camry, solara but go ask any gen1 TC owner about it and its pretty much the same problem). Changing the pistons and rings out would be slightly less involved than pulling the whole engine. Unfortunately, I can really only speculate as to whether they would be interchangeable without knowing more about the engine components and wiring harness. Best case is that they are, with very little or no modification necessary. Worst case, you'll likely need the 2012-13 engine, ecm and harness.

It's not much, but I hope it helps.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,680 Posts
You can do the swap with a same or newer engine as most of the changes RD5062 listed started with the 07 and up motor but the piston and ring design was changed with the 11-up models. If you want to put an 11-up engine in you might also have to swap the ECU. If the car has less than 150,000 why not have the pistons and rings replaced under the Toyota TSB for doing it? It'll be free and it does solve the issue. I had mine done and haven't had a problem with burning oil since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.