Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find the right thread.

Anyway, lately I've noticed on my xB that whenever I turn the heater/AC on my car, the belt starts squealing. It only does it when I turn any of those on, and goes away after driving. My guesses are either due to damp fall days, a loose belt, or because its an aftermarket belt that I have on. Not too long ago I had a mechanic replace the alternator and had him install a new belt to be on the safe side (still kept the original for a backup in case I'm stuck), and its been making the noise since that replacement.

Thoughts on this?

·
see you in surgery
347 Posts
Mine does the same as yours and it sucks I wish I could help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find the right thread.

Anyway, lately I've noticed on my xB that whenever I turn the heater/AC on my car, the belt starts squealing. It only does it when I turn any of those on, and goes away after driving. My guesses are either due to damp fall days, a loose belt, or because its an aftermarket belt that I have on. Not too long ago I had a mechanic replace the alternator and had him install a new belt to be on the safe side (still kept the original for a backup in case I'm stuck), and its been making the noise since that replacement.

Thoughts on this?
I'd guess the mechanic didn't tighten everything up. You can adjust the factory bracket or you can buy or DIY one of these > Adjustable alternator bracket Tensioner Heim joints Scion xA xB Echo Yaris | eBay < on that you just adjust the center barrel and the ends go in and out so you get the perfect tightness.

·
Registered
390 Posts
it's just the new belt stretching.......tighten it up a bit and it'll silence it. The added strain of running the compressor will make it talk to you. Yes, the compressor runs with defrost to help dry the air to clear windows faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's just the new belt stretching.......tighten it up a bit and it'll silence it. The added strain of running the compressor will make it talk to you. Yes, the compressor runs with defrost to help dry the air to clear windows faster.
Okay, so I have a follow-up for you then. I only notice the sound when I put my xB into drive when its idling. When I put it back into park, the noise goes away. Does that still mean the belt needs tightening, or is it something else? Thanks for your previous answer!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah, I have lightened aluminum pulleys and underdrive crank pulley on my Mazda and belt tension is super touchy. The aluminum pulleys are more sensitive to tension and environmental conditions than the metal pulleys are. I had issue with alternator one doing that when turning headlights on once and also had AC belt doing what you're talking about when putting in rev or drive. They were good when installed but after they settled in and stretched they had to be retensioned to shut them up. Being different thicknesses and 2 different belts the noise happened separately so only slightly irritating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts