Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting as I'm new to the group. I have been reading answers on the forum which have been very helpful. Now I am hoping someone can help my daughter and I with our car problem.

My daughter has a 2006 Scion. When she is driving at 60 mph or above the transmission sounds like it needs to change into a highway cruising gear. I reset the ECU and her car shifts through the gears smoother than before and the pickup has improved. But still when she drives at 60 or above it sounds like it needs to shift into a highway cruising gear. The OD is on. The RPM is below 3. I know some smaller cars sound like they strain more than bigger cars at high speed. But my daughter insists that her car didn't sound like this before. We took it to an auto shop and they said there is nothing wrong with the transmission. So I am at a loss since the car shifts fine on the street. I am hoping someone may have an idea on what may be the problem. Thanks!

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
Is at not shifting past 45? I had the same problem with my black xB 2005. I went through and replaced all kinds of stuff I found out that there was a broken wire above the brain unit in the car. Apparently whoever had it before me try to tie an underdash lights by hacking it to the wire harness for the brain. It was a pink wire if memory serves me right.

Sent from my pimped out xB

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
The car runs smooth on the street up to 50. It's above that.
It should shift into high gear at 45. The other thing that could be preventing it shifting if the cold engine light on the dash is still on. If that is still on it will prevent the vehicle from shifting into high gear. I could then be a heat sensor issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should shift into high gear at 45. The other thing that could be preventing it shifting if the cold engine light on the dash is still on. If that is still on it will prevent the vehicle from shifting into high gear. I could then be a heat sensor issue

We wait until the cold engine light is off before driving. The car runs great up to 50. I'll find a road where I can take it over 50 and see what it does. I thought that it shifted into all four gears. I'll take it out for another drive and pay closer attention to make sure it went into all four gears.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
We wait until the cold engine light is off before driving. The car runs great up to 50. I'll find a road where I can take it over 50 and see what it does. I thought that it shifted into all four gears. I'll take it out for another drive and pay closer attention to make sure it went into all four gears.
The final shift should be at 45

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
Od button, check all the fuses, speed sensor at any of the 4 wheels, speeds sensor in top of a/t. But normally if it's a speed sensor issue it will throw off the speedometer which is why I'm not leaning towards those. Same thing with this skid control for the anti-lock brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can an OD button be bad where it shifts through all of the gears except for the final gear? What Fuses would I be looking for? I appreciate your help!

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
Od button turns off final gear. If when you hit the od button, it should light up od on the dummy lights. Easiest way to tell.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
Not sure what else it could be. Check all the fuses. Mine was the pink wire going into the top of the brain. I even went as far as to swap out the transmission with no luck. Do you have any of the service manuals?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure what else it could be. Check all the fuses. Mine was the pink wire going into the top of the brain. I even went as far as to swap out the transmission with no luck. Do you have any of the service manuals?

No but I'll look into a service manual. What year Scion do you have and what does it sound like when you drive on the highway?

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
No but I'll look into a service manual. What year Scion do you have and what does it sound like when you drive on the highway?
Pm me your email address

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
2005 and 2006 both

·
Old School xB Builder
1,723 Posts
I sent you a link to my google drive where I store my scion service manuals. Let me know if you can view them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts